Arctic Beech (Nothofagus antarctica)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mentioned in the recent thread about under-utilized trees, that I was fond of these and would post several. Here's the first one, a landscapadori I got last fall. The trunk is almost entirely hollow top to bottom. I've trimmed it up a bit, and it's currently defoliated after pushing very lush growth this spring, as these are want to do. They ramify nicely and respond well to Lingnan School cut-and-grow techniques, which is what I will be employing over time to refine the image. These are trouble-free trees generally, and fun and rewarding trees to work on, and this one is especially a blast with its inherently wild trunk. About 2 1/2' tall.

Comments welcome.

grouper52

http://bonsainut.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1413&stc=1&d=1182572945

Attachments

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Will,
That's a great trunk! So ugly that it's beautiful. Any pics of it with clothes on?

Jay

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, all. No pics with clothes on, shoulda got one before I defoliated but it was just very bushy, with 8-10" whips coming off everywhere at odd angles. I'll get one in a few weeks when more orderly growth is budding out, a pretty time for photos of these guys - should look nice then.

grouper52