Are uneven bonsai pots common?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A prominent artist came to my backyard recently and bought all my "flawed" pots. I respected him for it because he agreed with my view that there's no such thing as a flawed pot. This is an amorphous visual art form, there are no rules. Even a wobbly cracked pot has value. If a pot doesn't match the ideal of the potter, or is ugly, he has the right to smash it. But beautiful things are often flawed.

America is new to bonsai. The market needs to be flooded with $10 pots.

But this is not how America works and is the true crux of the OP post, me thinks: did the seller pass off a knowingly inferior product to make a quick buck...or is this what a quality product that, admittedly, is hard to construct and for a niche market looks like?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So do you think it is defective after hearing everyone else's OPINIONS?

I think it's ridiculous that our hearts are ok with a Balding JBP but a pot that you can't tell has a slight rock is unacceptable.

That seems contradictory no?

Except it's not because people are only willing to judge others' work, not their own.

Sorce

This is a false and unfair comparison.

I may accept the tree's flaws because it is a living, changing entity that can be guided over time into something entirely different. That is probably why I bought it...otherwise, plastic trees are harder to kill :)

I may not accept a pots flaws because I bought it to be a static product fixed in time meant for a specific function. Part of that function is to hold a tree still. If it is defective at one of the principal tasks I want performed...it is defective.

In both cases, I might justifiably feel cheated were the flaw not pointed out to me prior to purchase.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A victim of what? The internet?

Y'all wouldn't have gotten this to this point of you weren't looking for information that wasn't there.

Y'all are victims of your own poor reading and comprehension skills.

G'head, blame it on my writing.

Sorce

Some things I tell my children:

* If you are accused of something once, it may be a false blame. Twice? It may still not be you. Many times?? It's something about you. Continuing to deny that is egotistical and arrogant.

* Learn to _want_ the issues to be you. You can learn and grow and change you. You can not change them.

* How you learn and grow to change you is your decision...but it is also you who lives with the consequences.

...and with that I'm done with this thread. Some good things to think about being discussed...but it's wasting too much of my time for diminishing gain :(

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
...but it's wasting too much of my time for diminishing gain :(
Some useful info: every potter should own a bench grinder with a silicon carbide wheel. It is green in color. It grinds ceramic and glaze drips as if it were Styrofoam. This foot thing can be resolved in a few seconds.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone with one of those faulty wobbly pots that a tree just won't grow in. I will pay shipping or pick up if close enough. I could use some warped pots to go on my warped benches.

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So do you think it is defective after hearing everyone else's OPINIONS?

I think it's ridiculous that our hearts are ok with a Balding JBP but a pot that you can't tell has a slight rock is unacceptable.

That seems contradictory no?

Except it's not because people are only willing to judge others' work, not their own.

Sorce
Wow what a interesting topic this turned out to be! Pot wobble it’s a thing now! Lol.

I reached out to seller they said that’s it’s common for these production Chinese pots to have Some unevenness. It’s a well made pot but not signed are stamped. Not really an art pot. They explained when you get into expensive Japanese pots and art pottery pots, it’s much more unlikely that they will wobble. They sent me out a little plastic shim for free that they use to keep there trees level, and No more wobble. Easy as that and its barley noticeable. They also said I could return the pot if I wanted for a refund. Which I declined. I’m very happy with the pot Overall.

I think the thing we can all learn from this is to ask sellers about pot wobble before you buy, If its a concern for you or if your OCD like me! You can also just shove a little shim under the pot. Presto!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a little shim

👆I just like the way that sounds...

Truth, I like your approach to the problem, appreciate your honest heart, and hope...nah
...know, you'll make a nice display with that pot!

My kid brings a Gatorade bottle to school for water, he started putting Kool aid in it, then asked me if anyone ever puts actual Gatorade in them bottles.
Oh that nostalgia, when there was ONLY Gatorade! Only Yellow....arghf.... Gatorade!

Cheers!

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
👆I just like the way that sounds...

Truth, I like your approach to the problem, appreciate your honest heart, and hope...nah
...know, you'll make a nice display with that pot!

My kid brings a Gatorade bottle to school for water, he started putting Kool aid in it, then asked me if anyone ever puts actual Gatorade in them bottles.
Oh that nostalgia, when there was ONLY Gatorade! Only Yellow....arghf.... Gatorade!

Cheers!

Sorce
Sorce, you want to talk about nostalgia. I'm old enough to remember NO Gatorade. In football in high school, they made up a concoction for us....... 5 gallons of TAP water, 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of salt, 3 cut up lemons, and no ice. Drinking cold stuff gave you cramps, they said. Horrible, at first, but we were soon lining up enthusiastically to drink the stuff.

Top Bottom