Are uneven bonsai pots common?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As to your original post: Yes, I think a wobble is fairly common. And, yes, contact the seller and see what he can do about your problem. $250 IS a lot for a pot, and you should be satisfied with your purchase.

Just as a reference, measure the height above the ground at all 4 corners of a $100,000 vehicle and I'll bet big money there's more discrepancy than on that $250 pot.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let's read it again together!

"You", meaning the OP or reader, is specifically not me.
And "we", meaning me only as I am part of the group, but more you, cuz I don't accept bald spots or use JBP.....so.

The point about the slab is that ...

Well, people are definitely hiding 3 wheeling pots.

Some people hide more personal problems!🤣
But reveal them in these responses!

Sorce
Sorce. Sometimes you write like you think this is a comedy show or something. There is a lot of crap you write that is confusing and/or makes no sense at all. I have often wondered why you do that.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was not implied anywhere in what I said, so it is untrue, but if you believe it, sure, mostly what I said was BS.

But like I said, one is allowed to derive from the facts of physics what they must derive.

It is merely my opinion that smashing pots is a waste, hence that "I" in front of the opinion directly following the part of deriving information. Don't know how that gets turned into me saying you told someone to smash a pot, but it's clear with that attitude, nothing can be learned.

If I believed in the dollar I would derive a large 4 footed pot with a good stance is quite factually rare, therefore may cost more than $250. I don't believe they should cost that much, so I wouldn't want to talk about deriving that information.

Sorce
I am not a potter. But I can discern quality workmanship over shoddy workmanship.

I have visited the workplace of a respected potter, and I saw several buckets of shattered pots that the potter destroyed because they had some flaw. Oh, they would have been “functional”, but the potter did not want them to get into public circulation because the potter did not want the public to see a “less than perfect” product. The potter did keep a few flawed pots that were good except for the fatal flaw, for inspiration. But, they were not to ever leave the workshop. Some of those “inspiration” pots were beautiful, and I would have loved to have them. But I had to respect the professionalism of the potter’s motivation of only releasing the best to the public.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not a potter. But I can discern quality workmanship over shoddy workmanship.

I have visited the workplace of a respected potter, and I saw several buckets of shattered pots that the potter destroyed because they had some flaw. Oh, they would have been “functional”, but the potter did not want them to get into public circulation because the potter did not want the public to see a “less than perfect” product. The potter did keep a few flawed pots that were good except for the fatal flaw, for inspiration. But, they were not to ever leave the workshop. Some of those “inspiration” pots were beautiful, and I would have loved to have them. But I had to respect the professionalism of the potter’s motivation of only releasing the best to the public.
I've seen the same at place like Ron Lang's kiln. Ron made two of every commissioned pot (unless they were VERY large) in case one was too flawed to sell to the person who commissioned it. If both worked out, that was great. He had another one to sell. If one didn't, it didn't leave.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
A prominent artist came to my backyard recently and bought all my "flawed" pots. I respected him for it because he agreed with my view that there's no such thing as a flawed pot. This is an amorphous visual art form, there are no rules. Even a wobbly cracked pot has value. If a pot doesn't match the ideal of the potter, or is ugly, he has the right to smash it. But beautiful things are often flawed.

America is new to bonsai. The market needs to be flooded with $10 pots.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A prominent artist came to my backyard recently and bought all my "flawed" pots. I respected him for it because he agreed with my view that there's no such thing as a flawed pot. This is an amorphous visual art form, there are no rules. Even a wobbly cracked pot has value. If a pot doesn't match the ideal of the potter, or is ugly, he has the right to smash it. But beautiful things are often flawed.

America is new to bonsai. The market needs to be flooded with $10 pots.
I tend to agree, BUT the OP bought a $200 pot with no notice from the seller that it was flawed.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For artists, reputation is another clay, free to be moulded. A good vendor can't afford to be artistic.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wasn’t sure if bonsai people would consider this a defect

So do you think it is defective after hearing everyone else's OPINIONS?

I think it's ridiculous that our hearts are ok with a Balding JBP but a pot that you can't tell has a slight rock is unacceptable.

That seems contradictory no?

Except it's not because people are only willing to judge others' work, not their own.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now you're just trying to be a victim.

A victim of what? The internet?

Y'all wouldn't have gotten this to this point of you weren't looking for information that wasn't there.

Y'all are victims of your own poor reading and comprehension skills.

G'head, blame it on my writing.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I think it's ridiculous that our hearts are ok with a Balding JBP but a pot that you can't tell has a slight rock is unacceptable.

Except it's not because people are only willing to judge others' work, not their own.

Sorce
What “balding JBP”? There’s no reference to JBP in this thread except what you have mentioned. This thread is about wonky pots.

The OP created this thread SPECIFICALLY to garner the OPINIONS of others.

No one is being ridiculous here, except YOU.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce
yes. I do think it's ridiculous passing off mediocrity as "no problem." I've worked with more than a couple of potters who know better than to accept that kind of crap.

What I also think is ridiculous is comparing a living thing with an inanimate object...It's nothing but a rationalization. A balding BP may not be balding a year from now, not so for a warped pot. Pots are incapable of repairing themselves.

And as for judging work, you seem to think that's a bad thing. For Gawd's sake man, if I have the choice between buying a pot from someone who doesn't settle on selling mediocre warped pots and one who does, guess which one gets my $$?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ridiculous

You tend to see things you don't understand the relevance of as ridiculous, I know.

Or is it because the relevance itself makes your opinion kinda shallow?

Lull in the Planting work today so I am free.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A victim of what? The internet?

Y'all wouldn't have gotten this to this point of you weren't looking for information that wasn't there.

Y'all are victims of your own poor reading and comprehension skills.

G'head, blame it on my writing.

Sorce
YEah, it's the OTHER half dozen people who scratch their heads over your posts, CAN'T be you.... :rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
as "no problem."

How is someone accidentally knocking an entire shohin display that is not theirs to the ground seen as "no problem"?

That was my only and ultimate opinion on the subject.

Nothing else has to do with me!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You tend to see things you don't understand the relevance of as ridiculous, I know.

Or is it because the relevance itself makes your opinion kinda shallow?

Lull in the Planting work today so I am free.

Sorce
Lord....thank you for the ignore button...:rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As to your original post: Yes, I think a wobble is fairly common. And, yes, contact the seller and see what he can do about your problem. $250 IS a lot for a pot, and you should be satisfied with your purchase.

Just as a reference, measure the height above the ground at all 4 corners of a $100,000 vehicle and I'll bet big money there's more discrepancy than on that $250 pot.

To be fair...a chunk of that $100K is engineering to account for those discrepancies and make sure all 4 corners stay fairly level and upright!

How much would a pot cost to be engineered to keep all 4 corners down???

Top Bottom