Bald Cypress from cuttings

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I take cuttings and get them to root? How big?
Any tips and timing info appreciated.
I have a particular tree in mind growing in a strip mine pond locally. They are quite rare around here. Many huge knees and local.

I found this but know you guys know...
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/root-cypress-tree-63020.html

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can I take cuttings and get them to root? How big?
Any tips and timing info appreciated.
I have a particular tree in mind growing in a strip mine pond locally. They are quite rare around here. Many huge knees and local.

I found this but know you guys know...
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/root-cypress-tree-63020.html

Hi Underdog,
Any seeds cones on the tree? Because I think I have read elsewhere on this site that cuttings are almost impossible. My only guess would be to try some as semi-hardwood after first flush has hardened. Not sure at all though.
Maybe @Mellow Mullet or @BillsBayou might be able to shed some light on if they root or not.
Charles

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Underdog,
Any seeds cones on the tree? Because I think I have read elsewhere on this site that cuttings are almost impossible. My only guess would be to try some as semi-hardwood after first flush has hardened. Not sure at all though.
Maybe @Mellow Mullet or @BillsBayou might be able to shed some light on if they root or not.
Charles
I don't know that cuttings are impossible. I've just never done them. If I need bald cypress, I go dig one up (responsibly, because there are some places where no one should ever dig).

I really should try this, however. I'll have to go get 100 cuttings, dust them all with rooting hormone, and see how many take root. Right now, they're all setting their new growth. This would be an interesting time to go cutting on a mature tree to see what happens. Then I can go back next month, take another 100, and see what happens when the leaves are set. Then next year, take another 100 cuttings just as the buds are starting to swell.

So many projects. I need to start keeping notes on my phone.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies.
I just love this particular tree and would love to have some clones of it. Only one I know of other than the arborium around here. Used to my climate unlike the last southern sapling I failed with.
The guide said late winter cuttings which is now in Ohio so I'll try a few this week a few more in spring after growing begins, then maybe again after hardening. There is only a couple small branches to work with unless I climb so I can't take 100. It's close enough I can revisit a few times.
We'll see. Gotta try it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really should try this, however. I'll have to go get 100 cuttings, dust them all with rooting hormone, and see how many take root. Right now, they're all setting their new growth. This would be an interesting time to go cutting on a mature tree to see what happens. Then I can go back next month, take another 100, and see what happens when the leaves are set. Then next year, take another 100 cuttings just as the buds are starting to swell
Hey Bill, if you begin a quest of BC cuttings, please document here or on your YouTube channel.
And also, only use rooting hormone on half of them, or try powder on a third, liquid on a third, and nothing on a third....
Then you'd have something there worth noting, in my humble opinion.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Bill, if you begin a quest of BC cuttings, please document here or on your YouTube channel.
And also, only use rooting hormone on half of them, or try powder on a third, liquid on a third, and nothing on a third....
Then you'd have something there worth noting, in my humble opinion.
Took the words right out of my mouth....

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need to do this! What part did you use!? Hardwood ? Semihard? No root hormone?
I would call it semi hardwood. Seedling had a slingshot Y trunk, and I chopped one off. It resembled when you take a branch cutting the way it came off the trunk. It is being tested through a nasty winter this year...Screenshot_20180313-064853.jpg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would call it semi hardwood. Seedling had a slingshot Y trunk, and I chopped one off. It resembled when you take a branch cutting the way it came off the trunk. It is being tested through a nasty winter this year...View attachment 181403
You are a genius among men! I tip my hat to you.....I have a few in the local park......they look like they want to donate some cuttings....

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any more pics of trees from cuttings? Bald or Redwood

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here in PA it's too cold to get viable bc seeds. I was told that and tried it for myself, seems to be true. But they are sold at my favorite nursery ONLY from cuttings. I'll show you how I take mine

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here in PA it's too cold to get viable bc seeds. I was told that and tried it for myself, seems to be true. But they are sold at my favorite nursery ONLY from cuttings. I'll show you how I take mine
Keep us in the loop G

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I take cuttings about 6/7" and the width of a pencil. I seal the tops where I cut them to size and dip the base in raw untreated honey or rooting hormone. I use powder but I think gel is superior. There's also a jbp cutting in there. You pretty much have to use honey or the base rots but that's a different thread. As you can see my bc cuttings haven't taken yet, the photo is more for proof that I do this than to show how effective it is. I only have my word on that lol.
I keep them in 2" pots of perlite and a scoop of play sand. I close the aquarium up with plastic wrap but let them breath everyday for 10 mins. I mist them daily with water and hydrogen peroxide mix before I seal the aquarium back up. That way the beads pf water don't evaporate off the jbp. You can also keep a 1/4" of water in the terrarium and cover 95% of the top with plastic wrap if you're feeling lazier. But again that rots my pine cuttings

Attachments

• KIMG0042.jpg
    KIMG0042.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 108
  • KIMG0044.jpg
    KIMG0044.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom