bare rooting cedar - possible?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 cedars of Lebanon hoping to train, one is in the ground and one still in nursery pot.

Both are in, obviously, very compact soil. I've had them both for a couple of years (5 years in the ground and 2 years in the pot) and I didn't dare repot them since I know how sensitive they are on the root level.

Can these be bare rooted ? if yes do I just follow the same procedure as with deciduous trees?

If I should keep some of the original soil how would it work since the old and new soil have totally different watering needs?

thanks

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've heard as well you have to be cautious with cedars but you shouldn't be afraid to repot. I have Cedar of Lebanon that I've had about a year. I didn't repot it right away as I got it in May or so last year and it was too late. Unfortunately I slipped it into a pot with a soil that held too much water and it didn't have much of any growth last year. They need fast draining substrates. I almost barerooted it with repot on Jan 1 this year and it's done great since. It's in a fast draining mix and it's in full sun and it's putting out plenty of new growth already. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had died as it didn't have a ton of roots and I wasn't shy in root work but it's done great.
Good luck!
(but I would suggest doing it in late winter/early spring)
Ian
cedar of lebanon upright.jpg

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Ian for the answer,

You used the "regular" technique with water hose for removing the old soil ? any special after care ? did you do some root pruning ?

I guess I will start with the one in pot this fall if it dies it is not a big deal

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I think I used a combination of root hook, my hands, and a little water spray to separate off the old soil. I haven't really done the hose deal much. I have a milder spray that I use to keep the roots moist while I work on them. I don't really use the water much as a forceful tool. Maybe I should? I did do some root pruning and got rid of anything too thick that was downgoing. I think I only ended up with a handful of roots so I was glad it took it so well. As for aftercare I put it in a warmer sunny spot (it was winter still) and didn't overwater it.
Ian

Top Bottom