Beginner looking for help with natal plum

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hm, from what I understood about humidity trays, they were suppose to be more effective at keeping moisture in the air than just misting the leaves due to evaporation. Maybe I just misunderstood?

I think so. Permanent humidity trays only keep the soil too wet. IF they humidify at all it would only be a few millimeters above the surface of wet tray. The water in the tray and the too-moist soil will bring you an annoying crop of fungus gnats, however. Their major purpose is to keep water from dripping onto a floor, but they should be emptied when the pot has drained.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm hesitant to say you're underwatering without being able to see the soil (much less poke around in it), but I will say the prominence of the veins in the photos you posted looks like what happens to my natal plums when they get too dry---the leaves start to take on a dessicated look.

On the other hand, if you're severely overwatering you could have root rot that would actually prevent the plant from taking up water! It's tricky.

You might want to cut down the pot so it's top is not more than an inch or two above the soil line. That will make it easier for you to keep an eye on the moisture level.

Good luck!

Laura

Thanks for the advice. Like I mentioned above, I'm just overly worried about my first tree.

And I have no problem with you telling your own stories. I think one of the most interesting things about bonsai is the stories that people have about their trees, no matter what kind of stories they are :)

Hm, I should maybe check the roots then to see if I am underwatering, since so far it's just been the leaves.

Beleniel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh no, you were misled.
Lied too.
Sold something.

You're in good hands now!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Haha, my understanding of humidity trays all comes from the internet. I did get one, but only so water wouldn't drip all over my apartment floor when I watered.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Beleniel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you listen to people trying to sell you a humidity tray or listen to the hundreds of self-professed "experts" in online videos who don't so much do bonsai, but make videos ABOUT bonsai, that's what they'll tell you. You have to be very careful about who you listen to online about bonsai. There are some huge crackpots and idiots making bonsai videos...In the real world, humidity trays don't raise humidity to any appreciable level--same goes for misting inside. Humidity trays can also wind up wicking water up in the soil, if you're not cautious with the water level. That wicking action can result in root rot over time.

Neither humidity trays or misting are very effective--misting CAN raise the humidity levels somewhat, but it lasts only a few minutes. To have any affect on indoor plants, humidity levels in entire rooms have to be raised and that can mean mold mildew etc. in the room. Putting the tree in the bathroom is probably more effective than a humidity tray and misting combined.

Yeah, that's why I'm very hesitant about watching anything on Youtube, etc. I've generally looked at dedicated bonsai sites and forums where there was a bigger chance of people knowing what they're talking about.

So humidity trays aren't effective with bigger trees like me. I don't think I really need it though, since I did take it indoors because temperatures are dropping some and it seems okay. I should probably keep it outside a bit longer, but I don't want it getting too cold. Question then (and I'm going off topic, but I'm curious): how well do the trays work with smaller bonsai? While first researching bonsai, I saw pictures of the mame ones and some even smaller than that. Seems to me that a humidity tray would keep those better watered, since those trees have to be watered at least a couple times a day.

Beleniel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You start getting over the anxiousness after around 35 trees. Then you will be like, well there is an open pot.

I'm already itching to get my second tree. I just want to do some styling and start really getting into things, but winter and patience and ahhhhhhhh don't do too much to this tree or I'll kill it.

I wonder if there's such a thing as crazy old tree lady/gentleman.

Beleniel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think so. Permanent humidity trays only keep the soil too wet. IF they humidify at all it would only be a few millimeters above the surface of wet tray. The water in the tray and the too-moist soil will bring you an annoying crop of fungus gnats, however. Their major purpose is to keep water from dripping onto a floor, but they should be emptied when the pot has drained.

Ugh, will definitely stay away from them with this tree then. I don't want to fight off fungus gnats after scale insects and spider mites. Thanks for the help!

Beleniel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm hesitant to say you're underwatering without being able to see the soil (much less poke around in it), but I will say the prominence of the veins in the photos you posted looks like what happens to my natal plums when they get too dry---the leaves start to take on a dessicated look.

On the other hand, if you're severely overwatering you could have root rot that would actually prevent the plant from taking up water! It's tricky.

You might want to cut down the pot so it's top is not more than an inch or two above the soil line. That will make it easier for you to keep an eye on the moisture level.

Good luck!

Laura

That's probably it. I did uncover the roots a bit to see what they looked like (fingers crossed that I didn't hurt it much). As far as I could tell, the roots look fine, but without pulling the whole tree out, I can't be 100% certain. I have been erring on the side of caution and watering with less, since I figure that's easier to deal with than root rot.

I have been checking the soil everyday with the chopstick test or just sticking my finger in, but I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks for the advice!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did get one, but only so water wouldn't drip all over my apartment floor when I watered.

Nice.
You are in college there?

College kids have a couple more creative used for humidity trays I'm sure. None legal!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that's why I'm very hesitant about watching anything on Youtube, etc. I've generally looked at dedicated bonsai sites and forums where there was a bigger chance of people knowing what they're talking about.

So humidity trays aren't effective with bigger trees like me. I don't think I really need it though, since I did take it indoors because temperatures are dropping some and it seems okay. I should probably keep it outside a bit longer, but I don't want it getting too cold. Question then (and I'm going off topic, but I'm curious): how well do the trays work with smaller bonsai? While first researching bonsai, I saw pictures of the mame ones and some even smaller than that. Seems to me that a humidity tray would keep those better watered, since those trees have to be watered at least a couple times a day.
THEY DO NOT WORK for any size tree. Period. Don't buy them. They're a waste of money

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but only so water wouldn't drip all over my apartment floor when I watered.

Use them.....

understand they won't increase humidity much. They should be refered to differently!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but only so water wouldn't drip all over my apartment floor when I watered.

Use them.....

understand they won't increase humidity much. They should be refered to differently!
Or just leave them in the sink for a few minutes to drain and put a paper towel under them on the shelf...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the trees I have in appropriate soil, I would need at least a gallon capacity container under them to water properly.

Indoors?

You ever hear of a "lid".
Or a "mirror".

Sure, but these days it's more like pea-shoes and rolaids!!

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use humidity trays strictly on my indoor bonsai to keep water from going everywhere!!! LOL I realize this is an old post

Top Bottom