Help, please! Beginner in Memphis, TN looking for bonsai or pre-bonsai purchase recommendations

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank so much for all the helpful tips and advice! I’m going to purchase something to try and protect them as much as I can, before putting them out there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yikes, good to know! I’m going to look into purchasing something such as a mini greenhouse to protect them. Thanks for sharing your experience!! ?
That would be a mistake. A minigreenhouse isn't necessary and can wind up cooking your bonsai in warmer weather. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Rodents can mess around, but you never know what will happen eventually. they may not be bothered with your trees.

It should be noted that I have a lot of bonsai. Most are very large (three feet tall, or taller with 6-8 inch diameter trunks) allowing rodents enough support to climb around in them. Smaller trees don't make that possible, so they're not as interested.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh ok, then I will just stick to a high bench, so I don’t have to worry about having them in more heat than they can tolerate. Thank you, I could have made a big mistake there! ☺️

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you leave the snakes alone, you could see a reduction in rats. I saw a big drop in the local chipmunk population when that big 5' 5" of a rat snake moved in.
Rat snakes and king snakes I leave alone. Water moccasins, which are the predominant ones I've found, will be pursued and killed. They are aggressive. One of them chased my lady and met its end with my shovel.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rat snakes and king snakes I leave alone. Water moccasins, which are the predominant ones I've found, will be pursued and killed. They are aggressive. One of them chased my lady and met its end with my shovel.

You should take its skull and use it as decor.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You should take its skull and use it as decor.
Nope. My lady wants zero dead things displayed in the house. No deer, fish, tiger, bear, elk, coyote, alligator, etc..
I'm just tickled pink she allows bonsai. Please don't mention Tanuki or Jin & Shari. If you look through my pictures you will see the driftwood I have in my office. She doesn't want that in the house either.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just setting your trees on a low bench, or shelf a couple feet above the ground really eliminates many insect, invertebrate, and small animal visitors. It is difficult to make any growing area 100% pest proof, but very easy to make it 95 +% pest proof. A little folding tea table that you set out to hold snacks and drinks, the plastic or weather proof ones can work just fine. Be aware of how much weight you put on them, but a couple small bonsai won't be a problem. Easy, and portable enough that you can move it around until you find the spot just right as far as sun and rain is concerned.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just setting your trees on a low bench, or shelf a couple feet above the ground really eliminates many insect, invertebrate, and small animal visitors. It is difficult to make any growing area 100% pest proof, but very easy to make it 95 +% pest proof. A little folding tea table that you set out to hold snacks and drinks, the plastic or weather proof ones can work just fine. Be aware of how much weight you put on them, but a couple small bonsai won't be a problem. Easy, and portable enough that you can move it around until you find the spot just right as far as sun and rain is concerned.
Perfect!!? We actually have a weather proof table that we can use right now. Thanks so much for the great tip!! ??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice to see another Tennessean! You can definitely find anything you want at brussels but I wanted to let you know there are a couple of guys running small nurseries in your area. Look up Turnbull Creek Bonsai in Dickson and Blue Mountain Bonsai does a booth at the West TN Farmers market through the spring and summer. Both are nice guys with decent material and good knowledge of growing in your neck of the woods.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice to see another Tennessean! You can definitely find anything you want at brussels but I wanted to let you know there are a couple of guys running small nurseries in your area. Look up Turnbull Creek Bonsai in Dickson and Blue Mountain Bonsai does a booth at the West TN Farmers market through the spring and summer. Both are nice guys with decent material and good knowledge of growing in your neck of the woods.
Hello there my fellow Tennessean!!! ? ? Thank you so much for sharing this information with me!! I will be visiting the others you mentioned for sure. It’s great to have other options! ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the straight scoop on Brussel’s soil:

It’s crap.

I get my trees out of Brussel’s soil into Boon Mix at the earliest opportunity.

Here’s why:

Brussels has tens of thousands of trees. They use the cheapest material possible. Good soil for the thousands of trees they have would simply be too expensive. They only keep their trees for as short of a time period as possible. They don’t consider the long term effects (5 to 10 years) their soil would have. They grow in a greenhouse. (The biggest d@mn greenhouses I’ve ever seen!). They maintain those greenhouses at 100% humidity. They run mist/sprinklers all the time! Their goal is 1) not have the tree die while it’s in inventory; 2) not have the tree die within one year after selling it. Beyond that, they don’t care. Their soil is not conducive to long term bonsai maintenance. It has a high proportion of peat and pine bark, and those materials will often produce prime conditions for root rot to develop.

So, I would not suggest that you buy more of their soil. I don’t think you need to get it out of their soil immediately, but when potting season arrives, begin the process. Research “half bare root repot” (HBR).

Brussels sells more bonsai than anyone in the country. They have everything from cheap “Mallsai”, to some of the finest trees it’s possible to legally import. They do use better soil on the really expensive stuff.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Take a walk in the woods with your eyes on the ground the whole time. Unless your after a specific tree that is hard to get, there are TONS of trees and saplings you can get for free. Plus if you collect local trees, you already know they will do just fine in your climate. Theres Lots of mountains in Tenn.. check out some areas with a lot of rocks like around cliffs and big hills, a place that would prevent a taproot from going too deep. find some prospects and come back early spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks so much again, everyone, for all the great tips and most especially the time you all took out of your day to share your experiences! This has all been really helpful! ☺️

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is the straight scoop on Brussel’s soil:

It’s crap.

I get my trees out of Brussel’s soil into Boon Mix at the earliest opportunity.

Here’s why:

Brussels has tens of thousands of trees. They use the cheapest material possible. Good soil for the thousands of trees they have would simply be too expensive. They only keep their trees for as short of a time period as possible. They don’t consider the long term effects (5 to 10 years) their soil would have. They grow in a greenhouse. (The biggest d@mn greenhouses I’ve ever seen!). They maintain those greenhouses at 100% humidity. They run mist/sprinklers all the time! Their goal is 1) not have the tree die while it’s in inventory; 2) not have the tree die within one year after selling it. Beyond that, they don’t care. Their soil is not conducive to long term bonsai maintenance. It has a high proportion of peat and pine bark, and those materials will often produce prime conditions for root rot to develop.

So, I would not suggest that you buy more of their soil. I don’t think you need to get it out of their soil immediately, but when potting season arrives, begin the process. Research “half bare root repot” (HBR).

Brussels sells more bonsai than anyone in the country. They have everything from cheap “Mallsai”, to some of the finest trees it’s possible to legally import. They do use better soil on the really expensive stuff.
Agree 100% with one small add-on.

Water loving trees do fine in their mix, but only if they’re in midsize to larger pots or cans. The baked/cooked southern gumbo mud that’s basically a cheap pumice/lava alternative is all the same size and it’s pretty damn big. It cuts the peat/pine bark okay in some circumstances and often floats if you test it. Mind you I live 3-4 miles from the place and have the utmost respect for the whole operation, but it’s a business fueled by FTD/amazon/$20”trees” R US that a sharp businessman parlayed into a business that funds his passion for great bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a walk in the woods with your eyes on the ground the whole time. Unless your after a specific tree that is hard to get, there are TONS of trees and saplings you can get for free. Plus if you collect local trees, you already know they will do just fine in your climate. Theres Lots of mountains in Tenn.. check out some areas with a lot of rocks like around cliffs and big hills, a place that would prevent a taproot from going too deep. find some prospects and come back early spring.
I wouldn't do any of that yet. Beyond the idea that collection is somehow "free," collection entails getting permission (particularly in Federal and state parks in the Appalachians).

Collecting trees is not a great way to begin bonsai. It can be frustrating and most of what you dig up is going to die outright or in the months afterwards. Most beginners kill their initial trees, there is a very steep learning curve.

Top Bottom