Ben and Luke (Ulmus Parvifolia)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you might be interested to know, these Zelkova stumps are available for £75 at the nursery i told you about, Windy banks bonsai in surrey. they've field been grown from seed over 28 years. i would if i had the space.
Zelkova stumps by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Zelkova stumps at windy banks bonsai by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Thats a lovely old little stump. I would like to buy it but I just couldn't do that travel yet. And I feel I'm not at a good enough stage to handle actual good pre-bonsai material. I certainly don't have the eye for it yet, to see the potential. Something im working on

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conor,

here are 3 elms -

[1] Similar to yours - Miami Tropical from China to Trinidad. Someone thought they could make a bundle in
imported bonsai trees and it failed.

When mother stock was first purchased, we bought more or less mallsai. However, as we began to work with
local trees, we lost interest in many Chinese trees.

[2] A root grown down here. Took 6 months in a 1/3, 55 US gallon barrel to reach the trunk size.

[3] A "yatsubusa" elm from Canada, not sure where from originally.

We have a few other type, but by and large, no great interest in them, especially since on our side they thicken rapidly
and would have to be around 2 or 3 feet to keep the feel of fine branchlets.

Good Day
Anthony

[1] Bent Elm

bent elm.jpg

[2] Trini grown elm

trini elm 1.jpg

[3] Yatsubusa elm -------- trunk is very slow to thicken
yat elm.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor,

here are 3 elms -

[1] Similar to yours - Miami Tropical from China to Trinidad. Someone thought they could make a bundle in
imported bonsai trees and it failed.

When mother stock was first purchased, we bought more or less mallsai. However, as we began to work with
local trees, we lost interest in many Chinese trees.

[2] A root grown down here. Took 6 months in a 1/3, 55 US gallon barrel to reach the trunk size.

[3] A "yatsubusa" elm from Canada, not sure where from originally.

We have a few other type, but by and large, no great interest in them, especially since on our side they thicken rapidly
and would have to be around 2 or 3 feet to keep the feel of fine branchlets.

Good Day
Anthony

[1] Bent Elm

View attachment 137478

[2] Trini grown elm

View attachment 137480

[3] Yatsubusa elm -------- trunk is very slow to thicken
View attachment 137481

Yeah they are nice pieces. I feel like with more work they could be quite something. Are you still working on them or gone now?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think i would remove the two branches not because of the guidelines, but to improve the flow of the trunk, i think its a nice bendy trunk that will be obscured somewhat. but if you like them, leave them on. trees with thick trunks can be windswept also. its an acquired taste i guess, in time you'll grow to like other styles. thats just bonsai

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i think i would remove the two branches not because of the guidelines, but to improve the flow of the trunk, i think its a nice bendy trunk that will be obscured somewhat. but if you like them, leave them on. trees with thick trunks can be windswept also. its an acquired taste i guess, in time you'll grow to like other styles. thats just bonsai

I think I'll simply wait a bit, give it some time think about things. Maybe see if I can make some better detailed virts of both out comes. Either way I'd like to show off the bark of the thick trunk elm.

Anyone have any thoughts on Luke, the thinner one? And it's splitting headache problem?
Bobby, any idea how that split happened? Out of curiosity.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I might have stepped on it when it was in the ground, can't remember buddy:D
there's a few other bits out in the allotment that need rescuing btw, i trod on one of my oaks the other day and made a perfect lightening strike down the middle, it actually looks pretty cool though:D

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ill get you that pic, Im not sure what foreshortening of japanese trees, is? Any links or examples?

This winter, my 2 chinese elms didn't drop leaves. I guess cos they are so hardy, we simply don't get cold enough? I did have them in a shed though, to keep the chill off. Helped them a few degrees at least.
Yeah pruning those bottom two would be the sensible thing... I cant help being intrigued by Sorce's idea though. What do you think of that?
Ive never been a fan of windswept, Ill be honest... But ill check that out maybe.. I thought thinner trunks would be better for windswept? This has a nice strong trunk, I feel it doesn't suit the style? But honestly Im far from an expert on the style so could be entirely wrong!

Well that's a good approach. I'm not entirely unhappy with the current branches though and I feel like adding 5 years on for that opportunity of better... I'm not so sure. I don't think any of my trees will be show quality lol, but its a nice thought. I don't mind putting the extra time in to trees when needed though. Thank you for the thoughts :)

Here are some pics:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/tree-bowing-toward-observer.24576/#post-383123

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I might have stepped on it when it was in the ground, can't remember buddy:D
there's a few other bits out in the allotment that need rescuing btw, i trod on one of my oaks the other day and made a perfect lightening strike down the middle, it actually looks pretty cool though:D

Lol. Put up a pic next time you go down :).
I like your professional way of making natural scars, without the use for carving tools... that's what you call it right? "Stepping on them" lol.

Thanks, I see what you mean. Im not sure this trunk of Ben would really fit that? As its not upright to leaning, it is all just leaning, more like a semi circle. But it is a good point to bear in mind, thank you

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conor,

just sharing and hoping that if it happens to you, you can choose to grow then to 2 or 3 feet to counter
the thickening, or abandon in favor of local trees.
Good Day
Anthony

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor,

just sharing and hoping that if it happens to you, you can choose to grow then to 2 or 3 feet to counter
the thickening, or abandon in favor of local trees.
Good Day
Anthony

Ok thanks for the info.

@sorce what do you think about the second tree, thinner, Luke?
And his splitting headache.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok thanks for the info.

@sorce what do you think about the second tree, thinner, Luke?
And his splitting headache.

I never figured Bobby for such a clumsy foot.....lol!

Other than that....

I think you have an excellent chance of building callous tissue to make that look fine.
You just can't cut anything above it for a while.

Anymore talk about removing those branches off the other.....

And the BSD's are getting dispatched.

One Long flight to get that tree to save it.

One flight armed with Guinness can detectors....and....deflectors!

One flight, luckily more local, that will fly a triangle right round lake Michigan...till opportunity strikes....

One flight that will end something like this....varan-swat.png

Bless their Cheeky hearts!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never figured Bobby for such a clumsy foot.....lol!

Other than that....

I think you have an excellent chance of building callous tissue to make that look fine.
You just can't cut anything above it for a while.

Anymore talk about removing those branches off the other.....

And the BSD's are getting dispatched.

One Long flight to get that tree to save it.

One flight armed with Guinness can detectors....and....deflectors!

One flight, luckily more local, that will fly a triangle right round lake Michigan...till opportunity strikes....

One flight that will end something like this....View attachment 137529

Bless their Cheeky hearts!

Sorce

Ok thank you. I take it you wish for me to keep the branches then lol. I must say I am more in favour of the more "out there" ideas and the unique.
Which is also why I want to keep the splitting headache, and curious to see what will happen to it over the years.. I would bet you guys on here will tell me what the tree will do but it'll be interesting to see. I wonder if the 2 sides will grow slower due to the split and energy being put in to callousing too. Means the resulting image, when it is good one day, will be even more worth it because it was harder to achieve.

I like how you put up a pic of godzilla then M. Frary replies lol. Its like you called to him..

I'd cut off the short side.
There's a bud right next to it if you want to regrow it.

Ok thank you Sir :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can feel it when people are thinking of me.
That split could heal. But as it does it will swell up too.

Hmm true.. I wouldn't want it to swell up, that would not be good. Any way to simply... stop it? Keep it that way. Almost keep/make it dead wood but not for an attractive quality (jins and shari'), as it'll be hidden any way.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Means the resulting image, when it is good one day, will be even more worth it because it was harder to achieve.

I feel it pretty safe to say.......

That as long as you don't cut anything above it this year.....the quoted statement will come out to be true.

I haven't wired many elms since they are mostly just growing out....

But on J.Crack, Ficus Benjamin, a couple spruce, Boxwood, and probably a couple others....

I have torn branches off at the top from the trunk, and have split them like that too, and when they heal, they turn out nice....

Thing is, most of the time they end up swelling too far cuz they weren't cut as much...

So yours being cut so far, actually makes it better for a good future look IMO.

My Boxwood, which I split very similar, as far as meat left on, and reverse taper caused...
Has already healed to a point where it grew out the reverse taper and is once again strong with more meat holding it on.

Just keep the exposed wood as smooth as you can, clean, and you should be good to go.

Sorce

Top Bottom