Best Hose and Nozzle for Watering

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@bobbywett
Another thing that is nice to have is a wand. Helps you keep your feet drier.

This makes the valve even more useful to have so you can switch between the nozzle and the wand.
I get a similar life span out of the wand as I do with the nozzle

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dramm one touch water wand is the best I've tried. I've got two of them.
I think that my mineral water would plug up a Dramm quickly. I'm better with a shower and mist setting on a nozzle. I do clean nozzles after each season of use though. Something to do before winter sets in and I generally take care of tools regardless of whether expensive or not.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a similar one to what leatherback posted on the American Amazon.com site.
If they are really frost proof, thats pretty good although they are around 3-4 times the price of the ones at Home Depot or Lowes.
If they last 3-4 as long it would be worth it. I usually detach and bring all mine into the garage so freezing usually isnt a problem.

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
just got "Joshua Roth" watering wand from sumo bonsai. I think it's identical or nearly so as the masakuni(sic?) ~30$, Nice fine spray. Hoses are always a problem for me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
really frost proof
Mine is outside yearround. It got damaged because the metal front had an interaction with a stone in the yard, which is why I am replacing it this season. But.. works well. 12E is not a lot of money is it?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine is outside yearround. It got damaged because the metal front had an interaction with a stone in the yard, which is why I am replacing it this season. But.. works well. 12E is not a lot of money is it?

On the U.S. Amazon site, it is $35, compared to $8 at Home Depot or Lowes, yes I would say that is an expensive nozzle.
If they last 4x longer than what I typically get out of the ones I buy at Home Depot or Lowes then its comparable.

We cant leave hoses out connected year round here. If any water in them freezes, you can get a busted hose or nozzle.
I disconnect and drain them every fall
I actually have one I need to replace because I forgot to take off the nozzle last fall and the plastic split at the seam from freezing water.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a nozzle/wand, Dramm 14861. I liked the gentle shower because of several tiny holes but the problem was I had two filters (ion exchange and polyphosphate) upstream connected to my hose; live in Southern California and needed better quality water. As a result there was some drop in pressure and caused issues with the flow. Plus for smaller pots, there was so much flow that it caused flooding. Now I have swapped the nozzle to Dramm 12343. Essentially has less number of holes and is intended for low pressure or smaller pots. I like this combo much better.

F3BDC075-B130-4D9F-BF2D-E3D3B839D0E1.jpeg6D100D70-C759-4359-BEB6-AF6175160EE0.jpeg

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bobbywett
Another thing that is nice to have is a wand. Helps you keep your feet drier.

This makes the valve even more useful to have so you can switch between the nozzle and the wand.
I get a similar life span out of the wand as I do with the nozzle
I'll second this one from Home Depot, though I have the $9 version that only has the single shower head setting. After getting this I realized I'd wasted years of my life not having a nozzle on a 2 foot stick.

It's hard to go wrong for $9, esp. when it has "Gentle Rain Shower" in the name.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm don't mind paying for great tools, but I haven't found a compelling reason to not just use a $5 wand from a box store. Telescoping, 9 different spray patterns, adjustable flow, and when I leave it out some night and it freezes, it's easily replaced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Gardener-Telescoping-Shower-Wand/128564034

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I'm don't mind paying for great tools, but I haven't found a compelling reason to not just use a $5 wand from a box store. Telescoping, 9 different spray patterns, adjustable flow, and when I leave it out some night and it freezes, it's easily replaced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Gardener-Telescoping-Shower-Wand/128564034
I used to do this as well. But after a few times of replacing and buying a new one every year, it adds up. As soon as I started selling the Joshua Roth watering wands I have not had to replace the wand since. I have left this one out for 3 or so years in Minnesota winters and it has never burst and has never needed replacing.

I wrote a little blog post about watering my trees if anyone is interested.
https://sumobonsaisupply.com/i-love-to-water-bonsai/

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I got the smaller 18” Melnor. The shower setting is great and is soft. One of the better “shower” settings I’ve used. I’m impressed. The thumb lever that controls the pressure is robust and smooth.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a note, please check your water pressure, i got mine Dramm 1000 and that smaller nozzle for 5.5 GPL and i have to say the 1000 one is not usable at all and smaller nearly doesnt work with house water pressure. So it wasnt great buy for me......

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
They are usually color coded. What color was the 1000 dramm?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
mine is green, does it make any difference ? i though it was only color
this one
and this is extra head i got too

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Pocket Hose is a great idea, but they don’t last more than a few weeks in my garden. Good for infrequent use where you’re not dragging them around rough ground. The ‘Neverkink’ brand does nothing but kink. They’re terrible.

I bought this Briggs & Stratton hose (I’m sure I didn’t pay $90) and it doesn’t kink, but it leaves my hands black and sticky after coiling it back up, even more than a year later.
B2733E52-0030-4221-9736-A19B63CC0ADC.jpeg
This is the sprayer I use. I prefer to have the trigger on the back instead of the front. Shower setting is very good, but I never expect these things to last more than a year or two.
7F8FEA44-23E9-427F-959B-B5269F9AFDDF.jpeg

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
I have a nozzle/wand, Dramm 14861. I liked the gentle shower because of several tiny holes but the problem was I had two filters (ion exchange and polyphosphate) upstream connected to my hose; live in Southern California and needed better quality water. As a result there was some drop in pressure and caused issues with the flow. Plus for smaller pots, there was so much flow that it caused flooding. Now I have swapped the nozzle to Dramm 12343. Essentially has less number of holes and is intended for low pressure or smaller pots. I like this combo much better.

View attachment 368228View attachment 368229
Thank You

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
I'll second this one from Home Depot, though I have the $9 version that only has the single shower head setting. After getting this I realized I'd wasted years of my life not having a nozzle on a 2 foot stick.

It's hard to go wrong for $9, esp. when it has "Gentle Rain Shower" in the name.
Thank You

Top Bottom