Best organic/inorganic spider mite/aphid spray that you can use during hot heat?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just used this for the first time. Anyone have good or bad to say about it? 1/3 tbl spoon to a gal will last me a lifetime. Pour it on the roots. I did spray a couple test trees of little consequence just to see...
1529061727209.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just used this for the first time. Anyone have good or bad to say about it? 1/3 tbl spoon to a gal will last me a lifetime. Pour it on the roots. I did spray a couple test trees of little consequence just to see...
View attachment 196865
I use the granular formula of this, but still spray for infestations, and fungal if it gets bad (too much rain here lately) as the bugs have to ingest the leaves a bit before it will kill them. So if the outbreak is bad it's good practice to do an additional spray of insecticidal soap or some foliar spray such as the product we've been discussing. I have not used this liquid as a drench, I can't imagine that it would last as long as granular as we water so often, and our open substrate. Also I don't count on it it actually last 12 months even with granular.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I never had mites in PA. They like warm dry weather and hate humidity.

Most of the time true but this week I had to spray outside, had pines, flowering quince and azaleas all with mites. First time for me. Usually only get mites indoors over winter.

And we have been much wetter than normal.

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Most of the time true but this week I had to spray outside, had pines, flowering quince and azaleas all with mites. First time for me. Usually only get mites indoors over winter.

And we have been much wetter than normal.

Noticed the same thing. It's quite humid here in central Texas and the spider mites seem to be doing just fine.

Living Tribunal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So it's been two days since I sprayed the leaves. The good news is all of the new spider mites and aphids on the leaves are completely dead, so the spray is definitely doing its job. The bad news is, there was some slight chemical burn on the new growth of the larger crape myrtle shoots. All of the other trees that received less spray are doing fine and are back in full sun. I'm going to keep the full size crape myrtle in just morning sun for the next few days to see if I can maintain the new growth and get it to push through.

Overall, I'm very happy with the suggestion and will certainly be more careful with my next go around. I do plan on picking up some Avid, Forbid, and Floramite soon in order to diversify my options. I really appreciate all of the help from those who responded here. Cheers.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please be careful with Avid and 4bid: know the dosing, use an organic respirator, gloves, eye protection, cover all skin. And observe the warnings about drift onto flowering plants, animals, people.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn’t spray this in sun you do it early morning or after sun is starting to shade so it has about 45 minutes to dry first , you don’t spray it till it drips either just a fine mist over everything with a pump sprayer
I'm doing it all wrong!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have heard and experienced that once the mites are there it is very hard to get them controlled. One has to do preventative spraying before their season comes on

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 196865
I actually got this liquid formulation, so I could do soil drench in the summer. I read the instructions, and wanted to alert everyone that this should not be used on any Tillia species. Don't know what makes them different, but the directions specifically call it out not to use on Lindens.

Top Bottom