Best source for quality bonsai stands?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm having a hard time finding decent stands. What are your favorite sources? Any decent online shops?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
pm Al with your requirements, send check right afterwards.

Sorry that came out while trying to remember your answer, still don't but I will check around. By the way the first line isn't a joke, he might be too busy, but try.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You should be able to find relatively inexpensive stands in LA's Chinatown area.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pm Al with your requirements, send check right afterwards.

Sorry that came out while trying to remember your answer, still don't but I will check around. By the way the first line isn't a joke, he might be too busy, but try.

Al AKA "Smoke" in the membership directory.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I have 7 or 8 of this craftsmans stands, very high quality, all made to order to fit the size my pots. His Cherry and Walnut are top shelf and his prices are reasonable, plus it doesn't take him very long. They're a couple of pictures of stands he built for me on his website.

keep it green,
Harry

http://home.earthlink.net/~mnhawk/artisanbonsaistands/index.html

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi BNut, I have many many quality Japanese stands, maybe 50, in all sizes, and wood burls too, and some could be for sale. I could let you have one stand for cheap. I could also let you borrow some for shows. PM me if you want more info.
Si

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I can vouch for Al's stands, they're top of the line. I have seen them. I was a professional wood worked till I retired, I worked mostly with furniture and his stuff is furniture. His stands are as good as it gets in materials and craftsmanship.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi BNut, I have many many quality Japanese stands, maybe 50, in all sizes, and wood burls too, and some could be for sale. I could let you have one stand for cheap. I could also let you borrow some for shows. PM me if you want more info.
Si

Hi Si - I'll try to give you a call this weekend. I'm looking for a semi-cascade approx. 9" x 9" x 9" (more or less). I'm giving a talk at a garden club and want to take a particular tree.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Si - I'll try to give you a call this weekend. I'm looking for a semi-cascade approx. 9" x 9" x 9" (more or less). I'm giving a talk at a garden club and want to take a particular tree.

Maybe I got something you could borrow. Don't buy anything. I used to be a show chairman for a local club, so I have a large stock of stands for people to use. No trouble at all. Feel free to call me.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greg...

One of the best stand builders in the country was Bob Sigourney. He moved to Oregon many years ago and died a few years back. I have heard that his widow still sells plans of his stands for do it yourselfers.

Later came Tom Kolby. Best stand builder bar none. He was in Northern California and built stands for all the movers and shakers up there. Many of his stands belong to REBS members as well as Boon's SOB's and master's like Boon and Kathy Shaner.

Thomas has retired and that leaves me and Al Nelson. I just can't get enough time to really do my thing. I do not want to over promise and under deliver so I just say no. I have a lot of stands out there though many up north like Frank Bardhella who owns about 4, Inga Woelffe with 2 and a few others. I had 4 stands in the recent Shohin convention.

Al Nelson can be reached at 949-854-2681, He is in Irvine CA.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree there are too few sources in the states for truly quality stands. Slabs are also difficult to find, and often much too thick for appropriate display. There is one source I do know of, and thats http://www.mcbonsai.com/ They have some decent slabs, just email or call for more info.

Also, I am in current production of some Jiita (display slabs) made from mostly redwood burl, some maple burl, buckeye burl, as well as rosewood and ebony. The burl Jiita are all live edge, finished with Polyurethane, lacquer, or varnish, and with great care. All tops are wet sanded and perfectly leveled. The sizes range from small Shohin and accent sizes (3"x4") all the way up to very large displays (22"x36"). I also have some incredibly unique shapes that will be perfect for displaying both the tree and the accent on one slab. Should be interesting... I hope to have a good collection of finished pieces in a month or two (I'll start a new thread for those when I have some pics...).

Amazing forum, and great thread! -=Brian=-

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian,

Pretty nice stuff on that site. Astronomically expensive antiques are always fun to look at. :D

Top Bottom