Best way to approach graft small trees.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What’s best way to approach graft young material? I am looking at Peter Tea technique in link.
Will the liquid cut paste get in the way of cambium fusing? Will just grafting tape be air tight enough?
I would probably use thumbtacks with rubber washers on my young trees,that I can push in.
Any tips please much appreciated.
Here are my small trees.Some will benefit from this technique when they are growing this season.

Attachments

• B86A1582-FF79-4F66-843F-538839D65A5F.jpeg
    B86A1582-FF79-4F66-843F-538839D65A5F.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 43

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why do you want to graft branches?
Just a thought.On my clump I foresee a bare spot on the tallest trunk.Maybe will not have to though.

Attachments

• B6975016-4B0C-4927-994A-108ECEF2A382.jpeg
    B6975016-4B0C-4927-994A-108ECEF2A382.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 39

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have approach grafted branches on a shohin japanese maple that were about 0.5 cm in thickness. I just used grafting tape to get it really tight and then put cut paste around it to get it air tight. I also put wire to hold it in place even better.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What’s best way to approach graft young material? I am looking at Peter Tea technique in link.
Will the liquid cut paste get in the way of cambium fusing? Will just grafting tape be air tight enough?
I would probably use thumbtacks with rubber washers on my young trees,that I can push in.
Any tips please much appreciated.
Here are my small trees.Some will benefit from this technique when they are growing this season.
Liquid sealers do create problems by seeping between the grafted material and cambium, use thicker latex sealers or cut paste.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn't think this was worthy of starting a new thread so I'll add it here.
If you are using the little nails with the green rubber bumpers on your approach grafts, you have probably bent a few. I usually can't get one in without bending it on all of mine!
Dremel has a 7 piece drill bit set and the smallest one is 1/32" which is .002 smaller than the nails I use. I also use their keyless chuck and drill a pilot hole for the nail. Works like a charm!
IMG_20210413_115203930~2.jpg
IMG_20210413_115110608.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't think this was worthy of starting a new thread so I'll add it here.
If you are using the little nails with the green rubber bumpers on your approach grafts, you have probably bent a few. I usually can't get one in without bending it on all of mine!
Dremel has a 7 piece drill bit set and the smallest one is 1/32" which is .002 smaller than the nails I use. I also use their keyless chuck and drill a pilot hole for the nail. Works like a charm!
View attachment 367859
View attachment 367861
I have tried slipping the green rubber bumper mid way at first, using that to hold the nail in place. The using a smaller tack hammer with lighter blows. this has reduced the number I bend. I like your idea as well and will try it out. typically I do not approach graft so the little bumper straddle the scion placement rather than through the scion material.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Approach graft does not really need to be airtight. Approach graft relies on both parts being supported by their own roots while the cuts heal and hopefully unite when the callus grows together. I have seen natural approach grafts that formed without any sealer. Sealing to maintain some humidity will assist the callus to grow so grafting should happen quicker. Just wrapping with grafting tape is plenty good enough for approach grafts and in most cases tape is enough to hold the graft together while it heals so tacks and nails are only needed where grafting tape can't be used.

Liquid sealer will get between the parts in approach graft and will probably prevent joining of the 2 parts. If that's all you have available use nothing. The thicker putty type cut paste is good for this graft.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can hold em longways with a needlenose and push in.

Some crafts pliers have a groove to hold the nail.

Tack the model railroad track like this.

Cheers.

Sorce

Top Bottom