Bjorn Apprenticeship

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On a vaguely similar note, I kinda want to message Nigel Saunders on YouTube and ask him to come back to BNut.
Ya know, just to see what happens.
I would think he's too busy actually working on his trees and producing content for people to view😉

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you're overestimating Bjorn's revenues and ability to pay wages for multiple people. I've heard a couple of decent estimates that nurseries start to break even at 10 years, and even that Nature's Way probably depends on its landscaping business to support some of its bonsai operations.

Eisei-en is only four years old in October, and Bjorn has purchased a lot of expensive trees in that time
Actually, I'm not overestimating anything. I have no idea how much money he makes and really don't care either. I just have a problem with abuse whether someone is willing to take it or not. To medieval for me and some don't recover very well from it.

D

Deleted member 32750

I just have a problem with abuse whether someone is willing to take it or not. To medieval for me and some don't recover very well from it.
And when has abuse occurred in this situation?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Expecting someone to work for no wages and to work long hours for a number of years because you want to be some hot shot bonsai guy and really don't have the money to get it going and pay the help is abuse in my opinion. This is America not Japan!

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Expecting someone to work for no wages and to work long hours for a number of years because you want to be some hot shot bonsai guy and really don't have the money to get it going and pay the help is abuse in my opinion. This is America not Japan!
And calllung it an apprenticeship but not giving any training or time off…

sounds like a nice guy

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can’t get an apprentice to be your #^{%, you can always get an illegal immigrant…

Or you can be like every other legitimate business out there, pay your employees, borrow money to invest in the business (Eg trees) etc
why, if he nets > $200 per day per student, he could just get a couple more students who are willing to volunteer work time for workshop time.
Art studios and other places do it and get away with it, no apprenticeship rules need apply.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And calllung it an apprenticeship but not giving any training or time off…

sounds like a nice guy
Actually he is a nice guy a lot of professionals I know have nothing but best things to say about Bjorn, he’s an honest hardworking individual and highly talented with upmost respect from his US and Japanese counterparts .. I know it first hand.. he’s upping the par for bonsai in United States.. can’t keep up , then don’t bitch about it

Last edited:

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
why, if he nets > $200 per day per student, he could just get a couple more students who are willing to volunteer work time for workshop time.
Art studios and other places do it and get away with it, no apprenticeship rules need apply.
I agree with that approach.

There is a direct exchange of labour.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just his name, Nigel Saunders. I looked it up once, and looks like he hasn't been on BNut for ages.
Maybe he is here and you don't know it. Maybe the "Nigel Sanders" you are referring to wasn't really Nigel Sanders.

I personally think @HorseloverFat could be Nigel. In fact, it makes me happy to imagine that is so... :)

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Maybe there’s a diff in meaning for the word apprentice to some of us. I see it as you trade your time and effort in hope of gaining knowledge and experience. If you want money.. get a job.

D

Deleted member 32750

Maybe there’s a diff in meaning for the word apprentice to some of us. I see it as you trade your time and effort in hope of gaining knowledge and experience. If you want money.. get a job.
Yeah i think the “slave labor” argument is lazy. The application specifically said stipend for food and living.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe he is here and you don't know it. Maybe the "Nigel Sanders" you are referring to wasn't really Nigel Sanders.

I personally think @HorseloverFat could be Nigel. In fact, it makes me happy to imagine that is so... :)

That IS a neat theory! :))) Climate would be easy enough to just SAY either... very interesting to entertain, indeed!

But...

I LOVE to wire trees, though!

And..

I'm reeeeal poor.

😂😂😂😂😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

This could be spot on!

I mean... Walmart and Amazon know me as "Wesley Crusher"..

And google (so youtube.. ect.).. knows me as "Aldous Huxley"

😂😂😂😂😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My name information on the first e-mail Account I ever made (I was probably 15) was "Jabba DaHutt"...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So MAYBE ....

The "Nigel Sanders" he was referring to WASN'T Nigel Sanders...

But ME... AS Nigel Sanders..

*Chews a carrot like Bugs Bunny*

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah i think the “slave labor” argument is lazy. The application specifically said stipend for food and living.
go work for him and see, i bet when you get back in 3 months your tune will change.

Top Bottom