Black Pine Seedling Cuttings

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yes I was talking about Black pine . But actually looking for trees maybe in the 5-10 year range.. Mark does not have any as I frequently get material from him just looking for more thanks
While you’re looking, you might consider starting your own seedlings as well. It’s fun and they’re hardly any work the first few years. Five years down the line, you’ll have a ton to choose from. I’ve given away, sold or traded dozens from this batch.

S

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi markyscott,

I've perused many of the black pine threads on the forums but I've yet to find a definitive answer. I know there is rarely a definitive answer in bonsai, but. . . how long after the actual cutting of the seedlings are the plants typically introduced to full sun? I'm on week 3 with about 64 cuttings and can tell that many have continued to grow. Right now they are getting morning sun. I was curious on your approach since we have slightly similar weather (and also because you've gotten great results!). Any advice would be appreciated.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi markyscott,

I've perused many of the black pine threads on the forums but I've yet to find a definitive answer. I know there is rarely a definitive answer in bonsai, but. . . how long after the actual cutting of the seedlings are the plants typically introduced to full sun? I'm on week 3 with about 64 cuttings and can tell that many have continued to grow. Right now they are getting morning sun. I was curious on your approach since we have slightly similar weather (and also because you've gotten great results!). Any advice would be appreciated.
For me, I move them out of the greenhouse and into the sun as soon as they rooted. You can tell because they started to extend new top growth.

- S

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you!

Reaction score
While you’re looking, you might consider starting your own seedlings as well. It’s fun and they’re hardly any work the first few years. Five years down the line, you’ll have a ton to choose from. I’ve given away, sold or traded dozens from this batch.

S
Hey mark, hope all is well. I have tried twice. I have failed twice. I would love to grow some. But I dont know where to get seeds. also seems like I do not know how to start them haha. but I would love to learn.

Reaction score
I have plenty in that age range, however I do not sell internationally. My sales are conducted in person at the nursery!
I am sure there must be plenty of growers in the USA. Two that come to mind are John Muth in Washington State and Jonas Dupuich in California. Mark is very familiar with Jonas and his work. I know several well known members on this site have acquired trees from Jonas as well. John is no longer operating Bonsai Northwest but I am sure he has lots of stock in the ground at his nursery. I believe it is located on Vachon Island, Washington State. My teacher Boon has expanded his nursery with his new location, but I have not been there to judge the availability of younger stock, he had some nicely developing young JBP when he moved to the new location.
Other members can probably give you suggestions closer to your location. I am more familiar with the Pacific North West and California.
thank you for all the information. I will be in California in about 28 days lol my dad lives there so I do go visit a lot. thank you

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s another good one from this batch. I planted this one root over rock. I’ve been slowing down the sacrifice branch by needle pulling primarily. This winter I pruned back to some weaker secondary shoots to promote growth lower down. I’ll also decandle the apical growth only this summer. A6124C29-40F7-42AB-85ED-A5A2B9BB93D3.jpeg

You can see the tree has responded well. B666CA36-EA38-435C-9BF9-B301BE48B271.jpeg

Reaction score
Plan is to continue to weaken the top growth and , once the lower growth is stron enough, cut back below the main branches and start building the tree from the lowest growth. Like this. View attachment 371230
Very nice do you start more seeds every year. I should try to start trying to grow from seeds. How old is this tree? Do you have a source for seeds. Thank you for chatting

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice do you start more seeds every year. I should try to start trying to grow from seeds. How old is this tree? Do you have a source for seeds. Thank you for chatting
Not every year, but every 2-3 it seems like. This came from the batch I’ve been documenting in this thread - they were all planted in April 2015. I believe I linked a source somewhere at the beginning of this thread. Let me see if I can find it.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here.

I bought another batch advertised as “mikawa” from myseedco.com. I can’t recommend them - all of the seeds that survived were red pine, but I can’t find their website anymore so perhaps the point is mute. I’d just stick with a reputable source.

In fairness, you should expect that a certain fraction will likely be red pine, even from a reputable dealer like rare exotic seeds.

s

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought another batch advertised as “mikawa” from myseedco.com. I can’t recommend them - all of the seeds that survived were red pine, but I can’t find their website anymore so perhaps the point is mute. I’d just stick with a reputable source.

In fairness, you should expect that a certain fraction will likely be red pine, even from a reputable dealer like rare exotic seeds.

s
all the jbp in my seedling thread came from myseedco. so far it's been 50% or less germination rate 😑 their site is down for reconstruction. i wonder if I'll get any red pine in this years batch.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
all the jbp in my seedling thread came from myseedco. so far it's been 50% or less germination rate 😑 their site is down for reconstruction. i wonder if I'll get any red pine in this years batch.
Yes my germination rate was low as well. Buyer beware I guess.

s

Top Bottom