Blind Squirrels and Nursery Stock

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Today we paid a visit to a grower that supplies us with stock for field growing. We were curious what he had cooking in the fields. As we were strolling out to take a gander at his goodies I spied some plants that looked to be languishing in a back corner of his lot. We went over and much to my shagrin found these beauties that with a few years in the ground should make some decent material. He claimed that they were to rough looking to sell. So we asked to relieve him of his burden. The haul included a twin trunk Austrian Pine, two Contorta Pines, One Japanese white, one Japanese maple, two Mugos, and a half dozen Procumbens all for 50 bucks.:D

Of all this material this one mugo was my favorite. I thought the trunk movement was outstanding.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060042.jpg
    jsw_p1060042.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 107
  • jsw_p1060036.jpg
    jsw_p1060036.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 105

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
very nice find!!! for an even better price. That twin trunk pine looks great!!!
Hopefully you'll get a chance to show us each tree individually and what happend to them as time goes.

Manny

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom, haven't you heard, you can't find decent stock at a nursery... ;)

Great finds,

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now, don't go all paranoid boo-hoo, :( but no one ever said good material could not be found in a nursery. I believe what was said was, relying on cheap nursery stock severely limits one's horizon in bonsai.:eek:

And by the way, Tom, super trees! You are absolutely right about that mugho!

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Does go to show what some nurserymen know about their own stock.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does go to show what some nurserymen know about their own stock.

If this guy was in to bonsai, which we wasn't. (I could tell by the strange look on his face when I said I was going to trunk chop the stock I bought) He would have charged a fortune.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Now is that some sorta implication concerning bonsai nurserymen ??????????? ( some sure do seem to think their stuff is golden )

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No implication Dwight .... he looked horrified like I had burned down a church when I told him of the plans for the field stock we were purchasing. However any morale dilemma the man had disappeared when I stuck out the cash :)

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
It's kinda sad to see folks dealing in something like plants or live animals ( pets ) that really only are in it for the money. Of course that also is a telling indicator of their intelligence. There's a saying in the koi biz that if you want to make a million with koi , start with 10 mil and quit when you're down to one.

Top Bottom