Bloodgood Japanese maple progression

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...the part with out limbs will die back and roots will also die creating that vertical hollow we always see after someone chops with out preparing the tree.
Sounds like the "shari" I referred to on my Autumn Moon when the tree healed the broken high graft.
It progressed downwards to the roots over time and is now healing over.
Thing is, I like the looks and curious how/when to best fester it up (carve) or would that not be safe
for a less than vigorous type of maple?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would make a safety cut at C and let it grow a year or so. Then make the lower chop. Hopefully after cutting at C it would sprout out lower. Just not enough engine with that one shoot to accelerate this tree. Keep in mind also that when you chop it, without shoots all that way around the trunk, the part with out limbs will die back and roots will also die creating that vertical hollow we always see after someone chops with out preparing the tree.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought I saw pictures of people chopping back to a stump and then regrowing. That must have been other species. I will go with your suggestion and chop at C. Before I do I will post an updated pic and ask for your advice again if that's ok. Thank you for the advice!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would make a safety cut at C and let it grow a year or so. Then make the lower chop. Hopefully after cutting at C it would sprout out lower. Just not enough engine with that one shoot to accelerate this tree. Keep in mind also that when you chop it, without shoots all that way around the trunk, the part with out limbs will die back and roots will also die creating that vertical hollow we always see after someone chops with out preparing the tree.

@Smoke, do you think it has enough lower foliage to survive a chop at C like you suggested?

2019-05-18 19.27.52.jpg2019-05-18 19.27.36.jpg2019-05-18 19.27.17.jpg2019-05-18 19.27.07.jpg

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How did this maple do in a pond basket? I would think it would dry out fast, no?

Top Bottom