Blueberry clump

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
This is a multi-trunk blueberry I collected from my place three or four years ago.
Moss has been encroaching on the trunks so I took a picture and then cleaned it up some.
Before, after and some different views.

I think it's a reasonable nice little tree. The dead trunk in the middle needs some attention but it's liable to rot off before I get around to any carving. Too many trees ...too little time....

Attachments

• P6160001.jpg
    P6160001.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P6160003.jpg
    P6160003.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 156
  • P6160005.jpg
    P6160005.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 117
  • P6160008.jpg
    P6160008.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I really like this tree. I think it has potential. Needs a lot of wiring work, but I like the nebari and the general design.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay, do you know what species this is? I ask because I've collected some Tree Sparkleberry, Vaccinium arboreum, and am basically trying them out to see how they behave for bonsai. I know the species ranges to Florida.

Nice work on your clump so far.

Zach

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks guys...
Greg, I've learned the hard way to train blueberries with clip and grow. The darn things are very brittle and I just don't have the patience or finesse to wire them with out breaking the very limbs I need to keep in the design.:mad: I can use guy wires occasionally but even then I've tried to pull just a bit more and end up breaking the limb.

Zach, I tried a few years ago to figure out what species my native blueberry's are but could never pin down what they were. Maybe todays internet will have better info.
Good luck with the ones you are trying.... pic's would be nice.:D

Thumb, yep, nice reds for fall color.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zach, I tried a few years ago to figure out what species my native blueberry's are but could never pin down what they were. Maybe todays internet will have better info.
Good luck with the ones you are trying.... pic's would be nice.:D
Here you go, Jay. So far I've learned that this species will throw shoots that look great and grow out, only to die later on. Wired or not doesn't seem to matter. So needless to say, it's going to be a learning process. It's really hard to pass up something with bark like this, and there seem to be some really nice specimens around here. Time will tell.

Zach

Sparkleberry6-17-12.JPG

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
That is nice Zach! I hope you can figure out how to handle these cause this one shows some nice potential.

Thanks for the picture.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Jay. Years ago I tried one of our standard huckleberries and it behaved pretty much the same way. So maybe the trick is to let the thing grow and decide for itself what its design should be. As you said above, grow and clip.

Zach

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I missed this when it first posted, really nice clump you have there Jay. Bet the fall color is pretty nice.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This isn't a native ( mowed over one of our highbushes a few years ago) but it has the same characteristics as any of the natives. It is very brittle.

Attachments

• 6-12.JPG
    6-12.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 59

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
This isn't a native ( mowed over one of our highbushes a few years ago) but it has the same characteristics as any of the natives. It is very brittle.

Looks yummy though. Thanks Jim. Nice moss.

Top Bottom