Bonsai Before or after - All material is good material thread

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@moke -- makes me think of getting off the school bus alone & walking home in the winter when the sun set early -- that one tree to run past, come to life!

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I command you to, any pics of the face carving process, and what species/ cultivar is this?
Here’s the thread I made for this tree. I don’t believe I have any pictures of the carving taking place, but I think I have some of it fresh in the process? I’ll look and update the thread for it. It’s a Siberian Elm.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of my favorite pots. Can you tell me who the artist is? Thank you...Katie
It is by Daniel Butler, I think his compagny is called Wood and Clay

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
More "before" stuff added to my ever-growing collection. One big benefit to having tons of small, young plants is that five or ten years from now, I'll have tons of large, older plants. :cool:

The first two pics are a Loropetalum chinense 'Rubrum' (Chinese Fringe Flower) that I bought from Lowe's for the interesting "switch back" trunk shape. It's not too common to find one of these with just a single trunk, let alone one that's curved so dramatically. For $20, I had to get it. The third pic is a Lagerstroemia 'Berry Dazzle' dwarf Crape Myrtle from a local nursery, also bought due to the trunk shape. I love Crape Myrtles almost as much as maples. They absolutely thrive in our weather here. That tiny branch on the far right will be left for now as a sacrificial to build the trunk some more.

Both got a light trimming, but will stay in grow pots for the rest of this year. Next spring, I'll likely move the Myrtle to a bonsai training pot and stick the Loropetalum in the ground for a few years to thicken up. We have several Loropetalum bushes in front of our house that are easily 10+ years old and they have trunks 2" thick. Wonder if my wife would notice if I dug up some of those and replaced them with smaller nursery versions instead? 🤔 "You see honey, by replacing these big ones with smaller ones, I won't have to use the hedge trimmers so much!"

Attachments

• 20210830_084822.jpg
    20210830_084822.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210830_084828.jpg
    20210830_084828.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210830_084735.jpg
    20210830_084735.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 38

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It is by Daniel Butler, I think his compagny is called Wood and Clay

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm not on FB. If you happen to see an email there to contact him could you share it via DM? Thanks a lot...Katie

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This was a great post to go through. It's definitely hyping me up for my journey into bonsai. I just started graduate school and a bunch of small plants mostly on my balcony so I'm excited to see what they all look like when I'm done ( if they're still alive).

Top Bottom