Bonsai in San Jose?

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be spending a good chunk of time up in San Jose over the next year and was wondering if anyone knows of any reliable sellers of either pre-bonsai stock or even nurseries that sell a fair amount of juniper stock? Google so far has been of little help outside of alerting me to bonsai-specific business that closed years ago. Which makes me sad.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grove Way Bonsai, Johnny Uchida over in Hayward

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grove Way Bonsai, Johnny Uchida over in Hayward

Only appears to be open two days a week...which I kind of love.

Do you happen to know what his inventory is like? I see lots and lots and lots of "finished" trees, which is cool, but I'm more in the market for quality stock that I can work on. And thanks a ton for the heads-up!

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only appears to be open two days a week...which I kind of love.

Do you happen to know what his inventory is like? I see lots and lots and lots of "finished" trees, which is cool, but I'm more in the market for quality stock that I can work on. And thanks a ton for the heads-up!

It's been 10 yrs since I was there. He had lots of material then. I don't have any contact info but Kathy Shaner is there and John Thompson would be a good source of info, both are local.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In San Jose there's not a lot. Grove Way is the nearest bonsai nursery, but he doesn't have a lot of raw stock. A little, but not much.

If you're willing to drive a bit Muranaka in Nipomo has good field grown raw stock.

Carmen's nursery in Gilroy has interesting starter plants. A good variety, but not much is grown out.

If you go north Maruyama Nursery in Sacramento, Matsuda Nursery in NewCastle and Lotus bonsai in Placerville all have good pre-bonsai and finished stock and are all worth the visit.

Hope this helps.

-Danny

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Peter Tea lives in San Jose. You might contact him.

Top Bottom