Bonsai-ish Trumpet vine.

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just wanted to show off this red vine ive slowly turned into something that resembles a bonsai! It was growing on an old fence that was to be removed, and the boss wanted it cut down. Instead I chopped all the vines off and left it with no veg. It had about 10 foot of thick vines growing both ways on the fence. Over the last two summers I let it grow vines back and have been shaping it! Still working on the right side!20180907_142532.jpg They grow super fast, ive trimmed it 12+ times since the beginning, trimmed a lot off each time. Its about 5 and a half foot tall. There is also a smaller one at the bottom. Now I get to trim a bonsai and get paid!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks good, btw what you are doing is called Niwaki, not bonsai. By definition bonsai is a plant in a pot but niwaki is bonsai like pruning put on trees in the ground. They are some wonderful examples in Japanese gardens, take a look on google.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will it get a thicker trunk like a wisteria?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well it looks fairly nice and I suppose it is more satisfying than try to get rid of the thing because cutting them down just makes them angry and spread even more.

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well it looks fairly nice and I suppose it is more satisfying than try to get rid of the thing because cutting them down just makes them angry and spread even more.
I totally agree, even since I cut it off the fence its put out 1000 little sprouts all around it on the ground! They just keep popping up!

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Will it get a thicker trunk like a wisteria?
I hope so, but its probably around 10 to 15 years old already so id be supprised if it ever turned into a real good looking trunk! At least before I leave this job haha

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looks good, btw what you are doing is called Niwaki, not bonsai. By definition bonsai is a plant in a pot but niwaki is bonsai like pruning put on trees in the ground. They are some wonderful examples in Japanese gardens, take a look on google.
My original plan was to dig it up and make it an actually bonsai, but its a little large and I never got around to it. I thought about trying to get the little one to the left out, but the roots are probably tangled together and it would be a mess!

Top Bottom