Bonsai nut 2020 expo

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You could have people submit photos of their showcase trees which could then be displayed on a website. adding to that idea you could see if people wanted to do a talk or presentation and have scheduled/recorded zoom calls.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The more complex you make it, the fewer participants you will have.

I feel that THIS piece of information is VERY true..

I like the idea, i really do... a lot of these said pictures and explanations/stories can be found scattered around the site.. ORGANIZATION and PRESENTATION will be paramount in making this a reality...

So we need a lobotomy... but SOMEONE needs to “grab the saw”

🤓

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To make it extraordinary simple you have one person who volunteers to receive the pictures and summaries and applicable tags (Artist, species, size, style, age) and then you post all of these to a free wordpress blog with a free gallery-style theme. Now you have a very easy to navigate site that can be filtered by what you want to see.

for an example:
wordpress.com/theme/dyad-2
click the live demo button, looks great on desktop

the above theme is what I use for my personal bonsai blog. took all of 10 minutes to set up and look nice

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would be honored to receive submissions and do this, as my weekend plans have been cancelled. i was thinking people would submit entries themselves and we could have different levels, noobs like myself and then amateurs and then masters/pros(ie Adair martin,mach5,vanFleet,Forsooth,etc) or masters first to show the rest of us how to do it properly. i am just bouncing ideas around right now. And if anyone wants to take the reins and do it feel free to

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m still a fan of this idea, @SouthernMaple , however i DO feel that delineation of the “experience levels” would realistically cause problems/grumblings down the line...

Also the individuals presenting would have to play a large part in the presentation... They would want to, anyways..

It may be as simple as starting/planning a thread to ACCEPT and access the info from all sources.. With a discernible “deadline” (NoHo Fall 2020, for example) then translating THAT into a groovy medium (of sorts 🤣)

I DO really like this idea

Just a trigger..... sitting there... waiting for the pull.

🤣

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree that the delineation of experience levels will cause nothing but drama. There are no awards for this, just an expression of art and passion.

Also setting a deadline of like.... September 15th to submit pictures is a good idea.

Ultimately if this is successful it would be fun to make this a yearly event.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If I was technologically inclined.. I’d be tripping over myself at the opportunity/responsibility..

Alas that is not where my skills lie.. I will help out any way I am able to..

Bang-a-rang! ✊🏽✊🏼

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree that the delineation of experience levels will cause nothing but drama. There are no awards for this, just an expression of art and passion.

Also setting a deadline of like.... September 15th to submit pictures is a good idea.

Ultimately if this is successful it would be fun to make this a yearly event.
Ok, so why don't we say no experience levels, I can also be the award giver but my awards may not be treasured like that of a National show(unless you like beer shaken up by mail trucks). What if instead of yearly we did seasonally at first until Expos start opening back up. I would also be open to doing a test run this weekend starting as soon as I start the thread and having the deadline end Sunday at 8pm west coast time.
There will be no rewards other than I guess likes on your submission.

Last edited:

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So for this particular trial run submissions will look like this or until we decide on something that looks better(Title Font Size 18, Bold), with the Variety| Species|vessel

Untitled Art Strawberry and Banana Smoothie | Fruited Sour | Terrapin Brewery pint glass
DSC_0573.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a nice display stand....

I have made frameable award certificates for clubs in the past and can do it for some reasonable number of winners. ??

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a nice display stand....

I have made frameable award certificates for clubs in the past and can do it for some reasonable number of winners. ??
thanks but its actually a stool I used to sit on as a kid and help my mother make blueberry pancakes every Saturday morning, that thing is older than I am( just turned 40 this year) I now use it as a stand for whatever I am taking a picture of. I do need to get a proper stand though

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see that you posted a thread for submissions, but the cutoff time is far too short for many (including myself probably) to do the amount of work to create the display correctly. There is a lot of thought and considerations that go into making a good display. And personally speaking, I think there should be level categories.

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see that you posted a thread for submissions, but the cutoff time is far too short for many (including myself probably) to do the amount of work to create the display correctly. There is a lot of thought and considerations that go into making a good display. And personally speaking, I think there should be level categories.
You’re saying this decades long hobby can’t be thrown together?! Some people are just so demanding!

On a serious note when do you think an appropriate deadline would be?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I think have levels but people can self select the level their submission should be in. Unless whoever volunteers to judge decides the tree is clearly above the level they’ve put themselves. I just got a notification yesterday about one but haven’t watched it yet but I bet the group has a site based one as well. If I can find it quick enough I’ll edit. If I can’t I’ll post it here.

edit: it was for the 2015 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Last edited:
Top Bottom