Boxwood ID help (Kingsville, Morris Midget, or something else?)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been looking for Kingsville for a while now and found some on eBay...so I thought.

It arrived and I doubt it is Kingsville...much as I want it to be. I am leaning more towards Morris Midget or not even since the growth is so much more than I read online. Can anyone help positively ID this plant? I do not have pic yet but here is the eBay posting & pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230989210618&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

View attachment 37069

If you need better pics, just let me know and I will take and post them.

Thank you.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remember that sweet little boxwood rockm picked up from the PBA show last year? Maybe not; he posted it about a week after in a killer pot. Anyways, that came from a guy in my local club. I can send him a message if you like to see if he has any more.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Remember that sweet little boxwood rockm picked up from the PBA show last year? Maybe not; he posted it about a week after in a killer pot. Anyways, that came from a guy in my local club. I can send him a message if you like to see if he has any more.

I can't but would appreciate a lead to a good and reputable seller (and have affordable ones). :D If it is not a hassle, please do check and let me know. Thank you.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Poink88,

Brad Russell at the Bonsai Learning Center has a fair number of Kingsville Boxwood in many sizes and prices. You can contact him at:

brad@bonsailearningcenter.com

or you can try to PM him here at Digger714.

Regards,
Martin

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the leads guys! :)

Now about my plants...anyone have any idea what it is? :confused:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shane Cary used to sell Saunders dwarf boxwood if you are interested in that variety of Kingsville. I have one, the pic is in my gallery. Reasonably priced for a two inch trunk.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the leads guys! :)

Now about my plants...anyone have any idea what it is? :confused:

It definitely does not look like a kingsville. I agree with judy, wee tree has some nice looking ones for around 60. I have been looking at getting one for a while now. When I finally get around to it, I probably will go with them.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It definitely does not look like a kingsville.

I just inspected the little plants yesterday and to my dismay, the new shoot internodes and leaves are as long and as big as my regular Japanese Boxwood (both leaves and internodes are at least 1/2" long). :mad:

I contacted the seller (through eBay) but he maintains these are Kingsville. He claims all buyers are very pleased and I am the only one who isn't.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Im guessing his other "clients" didnt know better. Thats a bummer. I have had issues with ebay before too, not with trees, but with other things. Those kingsvilles on wee tree have been calling my name, just havnt pulled the trigger.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's to bad, leaf size in the pic looks about right but the growth pattern is wrong. They have a more curled leaf, and most of the leaves should be a dark green this time of year.

I've been thinking about selling my 30 year old kingsville. I can take some pics for you this weekend if you want its probably the nicest kingsville I've ever seen outside of books. If Interested drop me a PM.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is quite possible that a Kingsville growing for several years without pruning can revert to larger leaves. It is happening to 1 or 2 of mine that were rooted from cutting from my large tree.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is quite possible that a Kingsville growing for several years without pruning can revert to larger leaves. It is happening to 1 or 2 of mine that were rooted from cutting from my large tree.

Really? As big as the regular boxwood? :confused:

Note that these are small cuttings and the first growth I produced are > 1/2" internodes and leaves. No special treatment, not even fertilized. It looks weird having this semi-compact plant then have a few spurts of 2 sets of leaves that span about 1/4 of the original bush. Note that these growth happened in just a few weeks during summer in TX...where most of my plants, due to heat have zero growth.

All the Kingsville I've seen in shows do not look like this either.

I'd really love for these to be Kingsville so please confirm. Thank you.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dario,

It is possible for Kingsville grown in shade, given lots of fertilizer or allowed to grow freely to display larger than expected foliage. Prune it, give it some sun, slowly give it more sun and see what happens. Rumor has it that as Kingsville cuttings from cuttings from cuttings get further and further away from the original plant, they can start loosing some of the most desirable traits, like the leaf size.

All that said, what you do with it is all that really matters. There's enough there to work with, Kingsville or "Kingsville" be damned!

Regards,
Martin

Top Bottom