Boxwood literati

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a former hedge boxwood. Dug from a Maryland backyard. Got it about ten years ago at an auction. Basic style was set, but it was kept too full. I've worked it down a bit into an image of the broken topped oaks you see at higher elevations in the Blue Ridge. Used to see a few of those old giants along ski lift towers at Shenandoah ski resorts. The west has more impressive conifers at high places, but the Appalachians have hardwoods with similar character.

Repotted this tree into a nice Tosui drum pot. The drips on the edges are glaze. In the sunshine, there are gold waves through the greenish grey glaze.
literatiboxwood.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Don't normally appreciate Boxwoods, but this has some interesting character.:cool:

Eliminate some branching? A lighter set of branching might give more emphasis to the quality, rugged trunk.:)

Think the picture isn't quite indicative of it's presence/overall image......:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

I enjoy the pairing of pot and tree. Looks swell!!:cool::cool:

Orientation of feet? Looks a little off with that one foot showing off to the side.......

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Don't normally appreciate Boxwoods, but this has some interesting character.:cool:

Eliminate some branching? A lighter set of branching might give more emphasis to the quality, rugged trunk.:)

Think the picture isn't quite indicative of it's presence/overall image......:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

I enjoy the pairing of pot and tree. Looks swell!!:cool::cool:

Orientation of feet? Looks a little off with that one foot showing off to the side.......

Thought about removing some branches. Still considering it. Can't see it in the picture, but there is a small jin on the right branch. Haven't treated it with lime sulfur, as branches on oaks and other trees in the Appalachians rarely have that stark white bleached finish. They get grey green whitish deadwood that tends to break and rot away. Also note the exposed root at the front. I carved out the center of the root making it a bit hollow, as that happens as erosion takes the soil away and exposes roots to the air.

I suck at photography, it's raining out and my back yard is cramped--which all lead to photos taken off center and the overall crummy picture. The pot has three feet. Planting in a pot with three feet give you two options--one foot in front dead center, or two feet on either side of front view. I went with the two feet thing, but the pic was taken quickly to get out of the rain, so it doesn't show.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice image, too much foliage for literati in my mind, but it's beautiful as is!
How tall is it?

Edit:
Haha, Didn't meant to echo Judy, but she's right on!
The tree is about 18-20 inches tall.

BTW, I don't think the definition of literati rests on the amount of foliage a tree has, although most, but certainly not all, tend to have little. Has more to do with overall feel of the tree, especially of the trunk. Age and "refined elegance" is the loose definition. While this tree doesn't really have either, it does have a lean, expressive trunk.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly am not worried what classification this tree fits into for style...it's pretty spectacular...tells a story of suffering and being able to still spread its branches and glorify in another day given it. Well done sir! Did you add the Shari...or was it there when you purchased it?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I honestly am not worried what classification this tree fits into for style...it's pretty spectacular...tells a story of suffering and being able to still spread its branches and glorify in another day given it. Well done sir! Did you add the Shari...or was it there when you purchased it?
The shari was started on it from the trunk chop it got on collection. It was basically left unworked and had been bleached bone white, so it looked odd. I carved it out, lengthening it and adding some of the detail. I don't like to hollow out trunks, as that can lead to some serious issues down the road with rot (even if you seal it). The wood on boxwood, however, is extremely hard and can resistant to rot, so I felt a bit more comfortable carving it out a bit. I was careful to provide drainage exits at the bottom, so it sheds water, rather than allowing it to collect.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The shari was started on it from the trunk chop it got on collection. It was basically left unworked and had been bleached bone white, so it looked odd. I carved it out, lengthening it and adding some of the detail. I don't like to hollow out trunks, as that can lead to some serious issues down the road with rot (even if you seal it). The wood on boxwood, however, is extremely hard and can resistant to rot, so I felt a bit more comfortable carving it out a bit. I was careful to provide drainage exits at the bottom, so it sheds water, rather than allowing it to collect.
Well that is nicely done...with thought surely out into it. Drainage points...having had a hand at adding that added feature turn out so well...must also bring about pride as you see the final image. Thanks for offering more detail on how the Shari came about. Cool that this one...was trained under your care...from collection. ?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never saw a boxwood i liked, until right now. That thing is wild.
i personally wouldn't remove any branches just to fit the tree into a definition. especially when the defined category is literati. Really love this one

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The canopy looks to happy and full for literati... maybe it's just me

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love that tree. The trunk, the base, the pot, love it. At the top, you have millions of options that would still leave the tree looking great, IMO.

stedy

Seedling
Reaction score
I see the dates of comments. I too, think it has a lot of foliage for standard literati, but I do hope you did not cut anything off.

We get hung up on labels. This is a *great* tree as it is. Just call it something else.

Top Bottom