Brazilian Pepper As Bonsai.

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
:confused: Okay so my gf bought a fantastic brazillian pepper that were are working on but no one here can tell me anything about this species as a bonsai. I have read volumes about it as a pest but nothing specific regarding bonsai.

If Anyone can give my any good info regarding to soil, pruning and general bonsai care i would greatly appreciate it, here they are rare and considered pests but they do have nice bark texture!

The only thing i have noticed so far is the propensity to bleed after pruning

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks grog, well although they seem to discourage its use they still didnt offer any advise on how to treat the Brazillian pepper as bonsai, i guess i will just have to learn as i go along.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember Joanie at BT saying she had at least one, might be worth it to PM her and see if she has any tips on it.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one.A small one.It gets treated the same as my ficus.Very tolerant.Well draining soil,lots of water and fertiliser.

As far as the compound leaves go....I trim them constantly.I even cut some of the leaflets off of the leaves much like the Chinese do with orange jasmine.This doesn't seem to bother it in the least.I haven't found the deadwood to rot particularly fast.Certainly not as fast as bougie deadwood.

They are not the greatest bonsai subject,but they'll do for fun.

andy

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, yup i will watch its development keenly, not my cup-of-tea so to speak but the missus is in love with it so...

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally got around to taking a picture.This is a small one...about 12" tall including jin.Nothing special...but again.....it's a fun little tree to play with.

andy

Top Bottom