Breaking dormancy and sunshine

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@0soyoung @LanceMac10 i think you guys have potted landscape maples?
My landscape maples stay outside, regardless of whether they are in the ground or in pots. So too do my (intended) bonsai, for that matter. It is very rare that temperatures drop to 15F/-9.4C, though. This year we had daily highs in January as high as 50F, nighttime lows around 40F, then snow came, then it was warm, then snow came again, now it is warm again and nothing has cracked buds yet.

It gets quite a bit colder at @LanceMac10 's. I think he's got more of the story you are interested in.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Basically...yes. From what I've seen, most hardy trees can handle a light freeze as they are leafing out. Trees in the landscape are exposed to light freezing conditions during leaf out
most springs and they do fine.

Now, the trick is...I've found temps down to 30, 29 F are usually OK, especially if only for a couple of hours late at night. However...the problem is you don't know if the
temp is going to stop at 30 or 29 or drift down to 25 or 24. Once you get down into the mid 20s new growth can be killed completely. We had that happen a few years ago. It was the really
warm winter and everything was into growth by March. Then we had a hard freeze down to about 22 F and the new growth on everything (yard trees, not bonsai which were brought in) was killed.
Trees sprouted again and were growing strongly, then we had another hard freeze down to around 22 F in mid or late April. All new growth was completely killed back a second time. Some weak/young
plants in the growing bed didn't make it through that double whammy. Most survived and put out a third growth flush.

You have to know your trees and your microclimate. Clear skies/light winds/low dewpoint increase the risk of temperatures dropping colder than expected. If the dewpoint is 30 F chances are the
air temperature won't drop much below 30 (it can, but usually won't).
Dew point is always the thing I look at first when attempting to figure out how cold things can get. Of course, dew points can continue to fall as cold fronts push through... as they did 10 d ago... so your mileage may vary:D.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dew point is always the thing I look at first when attempting to figure out how cold things can get. Of course, dew points can continue to fall as cold fronts push through... as they did 10 d ago... so your mileage may vary:D.
Right, so you have to be careful. Dewpoint is most useful on those clear calm nights. If it's windy or a front is passing through, all bets are off. The other tricky one is when it is cloudy but then clears
up during the night. Temps can unexpectedly drop a lot when that happens. Same if it's windy early but calms down, etc.

Top Bottom