Bringing tropicals indoors

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
With the cool nights starting to creep in I started moving my ficus and one Fukien tea indoors and moving them back out during the day hoping to acclimate them to the change slowly. I have 2 4 foot double lamp (4 48" 6500k bulbs) just above the plants.
For the past week I have kept them inside knowing this weeks day temps weren't going to be much higher than 59. They all look horrific except for this years cuttings. Leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. Even some healthy looking green leaves are falling. I know this is typical of most ficus so I'm not too worried. Just wondering if my set up is ok and if there are other precautions I should be doing. I've cut water down a lot. Only watering when the soil is almost dry and I mist the plants lightly to help with humidity. Which is about 50% in my basement.
As for the Fukien tea. It has lost almost all it's leaves and looks horrid.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fukien tea's are difficult trees to get the conditions that it likes. Have you had this tree inside before? If you've had good luck bringing it in previous years, could be just more stressed out this year. If this is it's first year, then I would suggest trying a different placement in your house, perhaps not in the basement, somewhere with some natural light and ventilation. The plant is probably responding to the vast differences between outside and a basement. But although they are difficult trees, they are pretty tough, mine has lost it's leaves before and pulled through. (I'd sprayed it with a soap for scale, and they hate that...)
Good luck, you may want to post pics for more detailed help.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No I just got the Fukien tree this summer and it had been an indoor plant before I got it. I'd love to put pictures of my disaster up but I just moved to this house and we have no Internet yet and from what I'm told it will be weeks before it's available so I have to do all my searching from my trusty iPhone.
This is also the first time I've had tropicals so I don't even know what to expect from the trees other than what I have been reading.
I'd really like to even post pictures of my elaborate indoor set up to see what everyone thinks but I'll just have to wait. Just goes to show being clever doesn't mean your trees will be happy.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it helps any,i dont live far from you,my plants are still outside,i wont move any until there is a bad frost or it gets really cold,i have a fukien tea and ficus,but everyyear when i do bring them inside there leaves turn yellow and drop,but they soon push new growth,dont over react,watch the watering,some people think they need more water and end up causing more issues(especially the fukien)I think you will be fine,but if they are inside now,you might want to keep them there,moving them in and out is very stressfull,its a big climate change for them.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Mike!!! That makes me feel much better. I am very careful with the water especially since they need less of it with the little leaves they have. Next year I will leave them outside longer. Was just afraid with the temperatures dipping down in the low 50's high 40's it would cause damage.

I am not going to move them outside anymore at this point. All I can do is wait and see what happens. But I do feel much better after hearing yours goes through the same things mine is now.

Top Bottom