bringing used bonsai pots to USA

vchurchill2008

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm currently in Japan, traveling back to the US soon. I bought some bonsai pots that had been used before. I've cleaned them to the best of my ability with what I have here (which isn't much). Is US Customs going to give me a hard time and inspect every last speck of dirt and tell me they can't come in? Anyone have any experience here?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never specifically tried to bring pots into the country, but in my experience flying into JFK International in New York, the customs agents closely scrutinize visitors with foreign passports, and they really don't care about American tourists returning home. They just asked if I had any plants or food without actually checking my bags to see if I was telling the truth. I don't know which line you're in.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If they are cleaned properly, there will be more Japanese dirt on the floor of your shoe. And no one inspects those.
If the pots are empty, then there is no soil and no plant.
I doubt the customs will realize that these are bonsai pots and that they otherwise would contain plants that are not allowed without bare-rooting and a phytosanitary certificate.
So they wouldn't even make this connection in their mind.
I don't think ceramics themselves would have any customs issue, unless they are maybe high in uranium and a bit radioactive, maybe haha.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting question. I ran across the link below in a search. It looks to have been put together by USDA, Customs and Border Protection, and a couple of other state agencies. I would think the advice on bringing back stones and souvenirs would apply. Bottom line, if the item is scrubbed clean, not an issue...Might be worth a call to ask, contact info is on the page.

FWIW, might also be worth asking on one of the Facebook bonsai pot pages.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm currently in Japan, traveling back to the US soon. I bought some bonsai pots that had been used before. I've cleaned them to the best of my ability with what I have here (which isn't much). Is US Customs going to give me a hard time and inspect every last speck of dirt and tell me they can't come in? Anyone have any experience here?
I have returned from Japan and quite often from China with used bonsai pots and never had an issue with USA Customs CBP or APHIS. I have also brought back plants for planting which requires a PHYTO cert from the country of origin and a small quantity seed permit that is easy. I am currently working my way through the new APHIS web renewal of my import permits. Pots have never been a problem for me for checked (except for breakage) or carry-on pots. If you were to be inspected for dirty pots, Aphis would be looking for infected dirt in the pots, insect, bacterial or fungal. So if you want to you could sanitize the pots. If I have a pot with dirt in it when I buy it, I scrub it with a brush and sanitize it with 1:9 bleach : water (or stronger) in my shower.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pots that are clean are not a problem, they travel comfortably in my suitcase in bubble wrap to protect them. They also ship easily in boxed containers with the proper packing and declaration of contents as well. No problems either way. The trick is to take older clothes with you in case there is no longer room in the cases to bring them home. Or an extra suitcase to begin with.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
These are boxes full of pots from the kokufu earlier this year. They were checked in and nothing was damaged.
  • Do a box within a box
  • Do Takkyubin to ship all your pots from anywhere in Japan directly to the airport
  • Hyaku en stores have bubble wrap and boxes

1692725549761.png

Top Bottom