Brush Cherry shriveling

Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this tree from a local nursery about a month ago. It looked really healthy when I bought it, but now all the leaves are very dry and shriveling. I have been watering almost every day when i notice the soil getting dry(not completley dry). I repotted it about 3 days after I bought it since I noticed the soil was retaining way too much water. I know now this was not the best time to repot but it's already done. It gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun during the afternoon, it has been very hot the last week here in Nebraska, mid- upper 90's some days. Is the tree in shock from repoting, shock from changing environments, under/over watering, pests, too hot, Or a combination of them all? Is there anything I can do to bring this little guy back?
(The pebbles are not glued on, I just put them on a couple days ago to prevent soil erosion)
I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160611_232956.jpg
    20160611_232956.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160626_002642.jpg
    20160626_002642.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 42

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
G'day Mike,
it's most likely a combination of repotting and then giving too much direct sun too early. Also the temps wouldn't have helped at all . Keep at it for a while as the tree may bounce back if your lucky.

craig.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No worries....

The Bonsai Gods are just telling you it's time for a new and improved tree!

And another, and another, and another....

Don't give up!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am in no position to give advice, as I am new and just trying to learn not to kill my trees. (not always successful at that) :(. But I have had a brush cherry for a year, and its getting flower buds right now. It's in a very sunny exposure, next to my patio doors. I know, keeping it inside is severely frowned upon, but so far, so good.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree from a local nursery about a month ago. It looked really healthy when I bought it, but now all the leaves are very dry and shriveling. I have been watering almost every day when i notice the soil getting dry(not completley dry). I repotted it about 3 days after I bought it since I noticed the soil was retaining way too much water. I know now this was not the best time to repot but it's already done. It gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun during the afternoon, it has been very hot the last week here in Nebraska, mid- upper 90's some days. Is the tree in shock from repoting, shock from changing environments, under/over watering, pests, too hot, Or a combination of them all? Is there anything I can do to bring this little guy back?
(The pebbles are not glued on, I just put them on a couple days ago to prevent soil erosion)
I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Try scratching the bark somewhere on the trunk. If it's still green underneath (or if there are actively growing shoots), you might be able to save it. Get it out of the sun (except maybe some brief early morning sun) until there is evidence of healthy new growth.

Valuable lesson here. Don't repot and then put a tree into "4-5 hours of direct sun in the afternoon", especially at this time of year and with temps in the 90s. You have to let it recover and gradually introduce to more sun over time.

Top Bottom