Built myself a bench

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm a dog walker/trainer and constantly have dogs coming in and out of the house, some better behaved than others. As the weather is getting better they're spending more time in the garden so I thought it's about time to protect my better trees!
Popped to B&Q and picked up some materials with a gift card I got from a client for Christmas and put this bench together this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20190302_150038.jpg
    20190302_150038.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 167

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that stacking bricks like that without securing/glueing them is an accident waiting to happen. A single sideways shift and the entire thing crashes down like a house of cards.
With dogs (on leashes) running around, that might be something to address rather sooner than later. I wouldn't want that to happen, so I'm just making sure you thought of that before it happens.

Nonetheless, it's a nice bench!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd like to point out that stacking bricks like that without securing/glueing them is an accident waiting to happen. A single sideways shift and the entire thing crashes down like a house of cards.
With dogs (on leashes) running around, that might be something to address rather sooner than later. I wouldn't want that to happen, so I'm just making sure you thought of that before it happens.

Nonetheless, it's a nice bench!
Yeah, I agree....
Good mention.

My cat would definitely knock that down.....unless its secured some way that I can't see.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I used a grab adhesive between the bricks, I was hoping that and the weight on top would be enough. Do you think I should add some other kind of support too?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used a grab adhesive between the bricks, I was hoping that and the weight on top would be enough. Do you think I should add some other kind of support too?
Just replace the outside bricks with actual cinder blocks. They should be the same height.
The adhesive matters not. Stability does.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wooden pegs supporting the bricks on both sides could work too. Maybe some cheap broomsticks hammered into the ground?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice little bench, well done.

Would you not make a small gap between planks for air and water circulation?

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was going to say that you could appreciate the trees a lot easier if the bench was higher so that the trees are at eye height, but you would need to rethink the supports to make it more stable. Perhaps by also stacking bricks in the other direction or adding diagonal tension cables.

Top Bottom