Can a tree be too symmetrical to the point of boring

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I am referring to, a beautiful tree and an excellent job of styling, you couldn't ask for more from a master. But it's to perfect from my tastes, it doesn't stir my imagination, I glance at it in admiration and move on, nothing there for my eye to follow. You could reverse the picture and It would almost look like the same tree. I'm not taking anything away from Suthin, he did a marvelous job styling it.

keep it green,
Harry

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-f1/shimpaku-itoigawa-t1145.htm

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I believe all of these trees are fantastic in their own way. To see one of those White Pines in person is to really experience it. A photograph can't bring out the soul of that tree. I mean the photo wasn't even staged with lights, angle, and other things that go into a proffessional photograph. It was just taken off the cuff at a show, and it still looks awsome! There is even an empty pot next to it. There is a pine growing in a field at the Chickamauga Battle Field National Park that looks like this pine does. It's very old and grows all alone in a large field free to spread unlike other pines in a forest. It's my second favorite tree in the park. My first favorite is a large Gingko that I've often wondered how it got into the middle of a battlefield. It's trunk diameter is such that two people holding hands can barely reach around it. Amazing Fall color standing alone in a field.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I believe all of these trees are fantastic in their own way. To see one of those White Pines in person is to really experience it. A photograph can't bring out the soul of that tree. I mean the photo wasn't even staged with lights, angle, and other things that go into a proffessional photograph. It was just taken off the cuff at a show, and it still looks awsome! There is even an empty pot next to it. There is a pine growing in a field at the Chickamauga Battle Field National Park that looks like this pine does. It's very old and grows all alone in a large field free to spread unlike other pines in a forest. It's my second favorite tree in the park. My first favorite is a large Gingko that I've often wondered how it got into the middle of a battlefield. It's trunk diameter is such that two people holding hands can barely reach around it. Amazing Fall color standing alone in a field.

It was the South's last major win, commanded by old Braxton Bragg.

keep it green,
Harry

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Chris,

Did you get a chance to take pics of 'em to share with us?

No, unfortunately not. I'm not in the habit of carrying cameras on hikes, even though I should. But I tell you what, this fall I'll go take a lot of pics there and post them for inspiration. There is a grove of maples in the middle of a field adjacent to where the Ginkgo is that is amazing too. It's cool to contrast the colors of the different trees. The grove of maples is a really bright yellow, while the Ginkgo is a perfect buttercup yellow. That old pine everyone would be glad to know does have a lot of deadwood. It's seen a lot storms and cannonballs fly by it. Lot's of men died there, but those old trees just keep keeping on. There is one tree that is particularly famous, because it actually has a cannonball stuck in it. I'll see if I can find that one too. Might make for a good inspiration for Nick Lenz.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It was the South's last major win, commanded by old Braxton Bragg.

keep it green,
Harry

It's surprising that Bragg could win anything. He is one of my favorite Civil War generals just because he was such a goof ball. He was a brigade commander and at the same time the division quartermaster. As brigade commander he continually put in requisitions for certain supplies where the quartermaster promptly refused the requisitions. Finally in frustration Bragg appealed to the Division commander (Longstreet I believe) and was told: Braxton; are you aware that you are having an dispute with yourself?

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
It's surprising that Bragg could win anything. He is one of my favorite Civil War generals just because he was such a goof ball. He was a brigade commander and at the same time the division quartermaster. As brigade commander he continually put in requisitions for certain supplies where the quartermaster promptly refused the requisitions. Finally in frustration Bragg appealed to the Division commander (Longstreet I believe) and was told: Braxton; are you aware that you are having an dispute with yourself?

I bet he and that Ginkgo had a conversation.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

His troops cared very little for him, because he was so strict to follow regulations, it was even rumored that threy're were a couple of attemps on his life buy his own toops.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hijacked my own thread...........:D

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom