Cascade/Wooden grow pot for training

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was thinking about that when watching the video the other day.....

Nebari on juniper isn't as revered as on a maple say, especially on such a lovely cascade, it's not likely anyone will ever stop at a "poor Nebari" on this tree.

I would assess them at repot. Maybe remove one.

But I like to jam em into place with a "live or die" attitude over cutting em in this scenario.

If you still don't like it later, just snip em off at the trunk and soil line later and remove the old dead root later.
Or just leave it till next repot!

But....as far as health goes... I doubt you'll need em....
Not that tgis really needs more health or vigor....but it still seems a few runners would be all that is needed for said health and vigor, if removing the roots or not!

This really is an impressive tree....
And I love that simple pot!

Cant wait to see it paired up!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce. I just wanted to make sure about that branch - root “symbiotic relationship” idea
since the worst placed root there is right off the cascade.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce. I just wanted to make sure about that branch - root “symbiotic relationship” idea
since the worst placed root there is right off the cascade.

I'm not certain, but it seems until those high roots get significantly bigger, they are not so attached to one branch yet.

I guess if it was a big worry you could cut half way thru, amd let it begin building different paths before cutting it off.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not certain, but it seems until those high roots get significantly bigger, they are not so attached to one branch yet.

I guess if it was a big worry you could cut half way thru, amd let it begin building different paths before cutting it off.

Sorce
I think you're right, that it should not be a problem to remove. If I can (doubt it), once into the rootball, I will make
an attempt to bring this root forwards and not so out of place.
Perhaps @Adair M could shed some light on this symbiotic relationship Vance has made mention of with Mughos
whether it could impact this cascade or not being a juniper if removed (pics pg 1).
Perhaps these 2 roots totally out of place anywhere above nebari?
Looking back at the last 2 pics of the roots, it would "heighten" the trunk visually to remove them.

Yes I'm anxious to see the new pairing too. Wish I had the pot you made, the extra 1" depth makes a difference.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok... I’ve read thru the thread, and I’ll hive you my comments:

Japonicus has managed to make a presentable cascade “formal” cascade. The “formal” means that it has a traditional apex. If that part were removed it would be an “informal” cascade.

The tall cascade pots, like that white one are out of style. For horticultural reasons. 1) it’s really hard to get the tree out if it gets root bound. 2) it’s difficult to keep it watered properly. The top may be dry,and the bottom soaking! Or vice versa. 3). They’re unstable on the bench.

So, today, pots the shape (thereabouts) if the one offered by Amazon are used. If foliage hangs down, the pot is elevated by setting it on a concrete block. Then the pot is tied to the block with string.

Traditionally, conifers look best in unglazed pots.

Let’s not have a big argument about pinching juniors. There are threads for that. I’ll just recap the current practice of NOT pinching junipers: pinching prevents roots from growing. We want roots to grow. Instead of pinching, letting grow and then cutting back, allows the tree to get strong. The idea behind cutting back is will try to create new foliage to replace what was removed. Since the roots are strong, having been stimulated by the prior growth, new shoots to replace the old will happen quickly.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok... I’ve read thru the thread, and I’ll hive you my comments:

Japonicus has managed to make a presentable cascade “formal” cascade. The “formal” means that it has a traditional apex. If that part were removed it would be an “informal” cascade.

The tall cascade pots, like that white one are out of style. For horticultural reasons. 1) it’s really hard to get the tree out if it gets root bound. 2) it’s difficult to keep it watered properly. The top may be dry,and the bottom soaking! Or vice versa. 3). They’re unstable on the bench.

So, today, pots the shape (thereabouts) if the one offered by Amazon are used. If foliage hangs down, the pot is elevated by setting it on a concrete block. Then the pot is tied to the block with string.

Traditionally, conifers look best in unglazed pots.

Let’s not have a big argument about pinching juniors. There are threads for that. I’ll just recap the current practice of NOT pinching junipers: pinching prevents roots from growing. We want roots to grow. Instead of pinching, letting grow and then cutting back, allows the tree to get strong. The idea behind cutting back is will try to create new foliage to replace what was removed. Since the roots are strong, having been stimulated by the prior growth, new shoots to replace the old will happen quickly.
Thanks Adair good idea to elevate the pot and secure it .
I guess I will just leave the root. Thought it would be a good time to address it while repotting
since that task is not far away.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tall cascade pots, like that white one are out of style

Baloney! Only in YOUR opinion. Plenty still for sale, plenty in use. Consider one used at Artisans Cup for instance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Baloney! Only in YOUR opinion. Plenty still for sale, plenty in use. Consider one used at Artisans Cup for instance.
Sure, zillions have been made in the past, and zillions have been used, and still are. That doesn’t mean anything!

They are poor choices for horticultural reasons. They’re difficult to repot, the soil may be wet on top, but dry at the bottom. Or vice versa.

People smoke cigarettes even though they know it’s bad for them. What’s your point?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
full

Managed to slap this together last night and got it glued up just now.
Like I said, nothing fancy just plane Jane.
The pot I ordered from Amazon, was just under 3.75" deep, or tall inside, and 5.5" square.
The measurements were OD not ID
Not a comfortable fit. I always go by usable I.D.'s which leaves no question as to fit.
That would've been like going from briefs to a thong I suppose, so I custom made my own.
The blue pot belly is 7-1/8" round x 6 deep ID.
Cedar pot is 6.75 at top 4.75 at bottom x 5-3/16 deep ID
So I am losing a nice bit of volume still, and a whole lot of weight !!! :( !!!
I will have to put Adairs idea of tying to a block into motion for sure.
Wiring through the pot may not be best idea. I will want to display this
and work on it at times in the house. Wire will break. May use eye hooks underneath.
full

full

full

full

I'll give it a day to snow and cure and hand sand more then stain.

I haven't decided if I will be using matte water based Polycrylic over the oil based stain yet or
just continue to stain as needed.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
full

Managed to slap this together last night and got it glued up just now.
Like I said, nothing fancy just plane Jane.
The pot I ordered from Amazon, was just under 3.75" deep, or tall inside, and 5.5" square.
The measurements were OD not ID
Not a comfortable fit. I always go by usable I.D.'s which leaves no question as to fit.
That would've been like going from briefs to a thong I suppose, so I custom made my own.
The blue pot belly is 7-1/8" round x 6 deep ID.
Cedar pot is 6.75 at top 4.75 at bottom x 5-3/16 deep ID
So I am losing a nice bit of volume still, and a whole lot of weight !!! :( !!!
I will have to put Adairs idea of tying to a block into motion for sure.
Wiring through the pot may not be best idea. I will want to display this
and work on it at times in the house. Wire will break. May use eye hooks underneath.
full

full

full

full

I'll give it a day to snow and cure and hand sand more then stain.

I haven't decided if I will be using matte water based Polycrylic over the oil based stain yet or
just continue to stain as needed.
I like the way you slap things together with an accidental edge bevel on the bottom.:cool:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the way you slap things together with an accidental edge bevel on the bottom.:cool:
Thanks Frank! Hah, that was easy peasy in the radial arm saw.
This seashell lamp I made a pair of had compound miters in that it's basically
4 mitered picture frames mitered together vertically. I dare you to find the vertical seam ;)
I do love Mahogany, but will never do detailed work like this lamp again. It's just too dangerous.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Frank! Hah, that was easy peasy in the radial arm saw.
This seashell lamp I made a pair of had compound miters in that it's basically
4 mitered picture frames mitered together vertically. I dare you to find the vertical seam ;)
I do love Mahogany, but will never do detailed work like this lamp again. It's just too dangerous.
:eek:

Nice Job
There should be a prize for the ones who look for it.
And the tool only works if the set up is done correctly. They don't come out of the box and cut perfect . Nor do they come with the correct jig and or fence for each job:cool: i have built some cabinetry over the years, its fun to work with wood.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice Job
There should be a prize for the ones who look for it.
And the tool only works if the set up is done correctly. They don't come out of the box and cut perfect . Nor do they come with the correct jig and or fence for each job:cool: i have built some cabinetry over the years, its fun to work with wood.
Thank you sir!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would stick to the oil based stain, the polycrylics in my experience have cracked with UV exposure and temperature changes. Stain develops patina in the elements better:)
Thanks for the heads up Frank.
Was thinking today, I've never done any actual outdoor furniture dealing with the elements
and this is not teak or mahogany so it will not fair as well as. This is a disposable pot cost me maybe $8-10.
I'm hoping it lasts to the next repot for this juniper.

I've been going over hundreds of pictures of juniper cascades, to see which of the
4 stains I tested yesterday worked best for my bonsai. No one single stain hit the mark.
I like one that's an Australian Timber oil I have for my shed but afraid the orangish hue
is out of place for this one. It should make a perfect base to blend with though.

One thing I've picked up on, in looking at all those cascades, the pots that have more pronounced
colour, worked best with trees with live wood of same colour or close thereto and the stand also in harmony.
When I see a juniper cascade in a nice cinnamon brown pot that has a near black trunk, the result is less
appealing as when a bonsais trunk matches the pot. Still, I'm drawn to one dark cinnamon I really liked.
Problem with my design is the darker the pot, the less the wood grain shows its' natural element.
I need a happy medium where the pot compliments the bonsai and does not distract from.
Nothing like learning on a disposable pot.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the heads up Frank.
Was thinking today, I've never done any actual outdoor furniture dealing with the elements
and this is not teak or mahogany so it will not fair as well as. This is a disposable pot cost me maybe $8-10.
I'm hoping it lasts to the next repot for this juniper.

I've been going over hundreds of pictures of juniper cascades, to see which of the
4 stains I tested yesterday worked best for my bonsai. No one single stain hit the mark.
I like one that's an Australian Timber oil I have for my shed but afraid the orangish hue
is out of place for this one. It should make a perfect base to blend with though.

One thing I've picked up on, in looking at all those cascades, the pots that have more pronounced
colour, worked best with trees with live wood of same colour or close thereto and the stand also in harmony.
When I see a juniper cascade in a nice cinnamon brown pot that has a near black trunk, the result is less
appealing as when a bonsais trunk matches the pot. Still, I'm drawn to one dark cinnamon I really liked.
Problem with my design is the darker the pot, the less the wood grain shows its' natural element.
I need a happy medium where the pot compliments the bonsai and does not distract from.
Nothing like learning on a disposable pot.
There is a fairly new stain base made from natural rosewood oil that has a black tone, fades to a weathered grey. I have considered it on grow boxes for a more natural but protected look. Similar to faded cedar.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I started this thread mid February, and here a month later, I finally pulled the trigger
and repotted the cascade after a close watch on the forecast and Spring growth throughout
the areas countryside.

This was my 1st time working with copper wire this size, forget what gauge it is 10 maybe, it's bigger than 12.
This presented plenty of challenges especially with the cascade at pot level,
and several fine dainty jins to continually navigate, only snapping one off.
I removed the wire once at which point it was becoming quite difficult to work the 2nd time,
but I wired it prior to removing from the blue pot and the juniper, dry, was forgiving enough through my attempt
at wiring the 2 branches I wanted to, to open the trunk up a bit. I'll let it rest and grow before I wire or bend any more.
The thumbnails cut off the pic somewhat from what's in the gallery.

I removed 2/3 of the old soil, and the root I questioned on the cascade was too set in its ways to move.
I don't know why, I've bent it apart a bit opening the trunk, more to go yet, but the overall form appeared
better in the old blue pot. It will look good by end of Spring for an unrefined hillbilly I hope, with more wire and growth.

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah, it's the viewing at eye sight level that changed the appearance of the form.
From an elevated view, the trunk leading to the apex is more exposed.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
full

3 days later we have a beautiful sunny Sunday not a cloud to be seen.
April may be a tricky month for me and my bonsai. For the time being many rains
some snow and little wind in the extended outlook. I can't wait for this gem to take and
start throwing new growth. I've pulled all my bonsai out from underneath my sunroom
from their overwintering location to get in on the Spring rains too. Their on my back step
where they get little morning Sun if any since they've been in the dark for months.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi time I record moments in history of my trees and tag them beyond misc. pictures and scattered albums
full

It reads Proc 1g est. 2006-08 (for when I purchased the tree in what form, 1g nursery pot)
Pot 2011 blue round
Repot 3/15/2018

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
How have I missed this thread? Really like that cascade!

Also, I'll take 6 "slapped together" grow pots thanks.

I have been on the look out for a nice cascade pot as mentioned by @Adair M . I love the traditional cascade pots but understand the horticultural reasons for their decline. The ones I have found at my local plant shops all have calligraphy or something else too commercial/cheesy on them. I go to the big market in Taipei once a year and blow my budget.

@Japonicus can you post a pic from straight overhead please.

Top Bottom