Cat Litter for soil

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Getting ready for a busy Feb with most of my 2016 additions needing reply on better soil. I have not been able to source Acadama here nor in nearby countries, but was able to find pumice and clay balls of small and medium size. So far tried a few trees in straight pumice and while they did well I prefer a soil with a bit more moisture retention and my soil is dry few hours after watering. Adding 1/3 clay balls provided a bit more water retention but not as much as I wanted. Would prefer to add a moisture retaining component at least to catch the fertilizer that is going straight through.
Want to avoid using bark or regular soil to keep it inorganic... So considering liter which I remember reading can be used and assume will offer a bit of retention.
Which liter would you suggest use (any specific brand or type) any specific ones to avoid?
What ratio with pumice and clay balls would you advise?
Thanks

Random User

Reaction score
FWIW, I've used finely ground coconut husk for moisture retention... but the percentage used in each mix (depending on the tree in the pot) has to vary quite a bit.

I have a few trees (birch) in particular that I'm going to use the husk as a top layer, just to reduce evaporation/transpiration effects and try to stimulate finer rooting near the surface.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Have you read this?
http://bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm
Every market offers something different and we have to find what can be used.

Why do you think that fertilizer is going straight through pumice? I wouldn't say that. When it can take and hold water...

Will check the link. I see water dripping from pits and soon as I water and also humidity meter goes on dry couple if hours after watering. I'm not sure if this is because water is trapped inside the pumice or if it went through but pumice color looks as if it's dry. Does pumice retain some of the water and fertilizer ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
FWIW, I've used finely ground coconut husk for moisture retention... but the percentage used in each mix (depending on the tree in the pot) has to vary quite a bit.

I have a few trees (birch) in particular that I'm going to use the husk as a top layer, just to reduce evaporation/transpiration effects and try to stimulate finer rooting near the surface.

Would that be better than coco peat? As I was told to avoid it. Good point on a different soil for different trees. Believe ill go for a more draining mix to olives than conifers ? Not sure about elms and podacarpus?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Will check the link. I see water dripping from pits and soon as I water and also humidity meter goes on dry couple if hours after watering. I'm not sure if this is because water is trapped inside the pumice or if it went through but pumice color looks as if it's dry. Does pumice retain some of the water and fertilizer ?

Pumice can take as much water as it weights. And how long it is capable of holding it depends on more factors, weather, air humidity, temperature, shape of container... It can store
nutrients too.
http://www.hesspumice.com/pumice-pages/pumice-uses/horticultural-pumice.html

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Getting ready for a busy Feb with most of my 2016 additions needing reply on better soil. I have not been able to source Acadama here nor in nearby countries, but was able to find pumice and clay balls of small and medium size. So far tried a few trees in straight pumice and while they did well I prefer a soil with a bit more moisture retention and my soil is dry few hours after watering. Adding 1/3 clay balls provided a bit more water retention but not as much as I wanted. Would prefer to add a moisture retaining component at least to catch the fertilizer that is going straight through.
Want to avoid using bark or regular soil to keep it inorganic... So considering liter which I remember reading can be used and assume will offer a bit of retention.
Which liter would you suggest use (any specific brand or type) any specific ones to avoid?
What ratio with pumice and clay balls would you advise?
Thanks
I use pumice fines for young trees and seedling and they retain water for a long time. If I use straight pumice in the 3mm+ range particle size the soil will dry out too fast. One thing I've done is put spagnum moss on the top of all my trees. This helps retain moisture on hot days and keeps the surface roots happy. It acts as a nice buffer to maintain moisture until your next watering. I use diatomaceous earth from a spill adsorbent product. Supposedly its CEC is "high" and can hold nutrients well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use two recommended types of cat litter - they're good. Cheap too, really cheap.

Random User

Reaction score
Would that be better than coco peat?

"Would that be better than coco peat?"

I don't know... I don't use anything that most other ppl use and the products and product names aren't ever (or mostly never) the same anyway. Use whats local and cheap... I have a hard time with keeping the birch properly hydrated (or providing cool roots), so I'm going to use it as a top layer to keep moisture in and run water through a 1/2 copper coil that I intend on pacing in the bottom of a grow box when I transplant this coming spring. I only need it for about a month, so circulating the water shouldn't be too much of a PITA. It will only be a bit of a problem next time I repot if the roots cling to the copper tubing.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pumice very porus. Full of holes and passages like sponge. That is why dry pumice rock same size as lava rock weighs so much less. Surface will dry quicker than lower down in pot. Compare pot weight of dry and after watering and draining pot of wet pumice. That should give you good idea of water/nutrient retention;).

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The types identified in the bonsai4me pages. Every country has their own brands.
I 've been looking for cat litter everywhere in my country. Supermarkets, chain stores, pet shops...no joy. Tesco sales whatewer is available closer and doesn't supply with the same products available in UK.
So I use terramol by Damolin... plus lava and pumice, all from CZ or Polish dealers. Maroun, if you find nothing you can contact them.(Damolin)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm going to try me some of this when I find the right type somewhere, Akadama is easy to find here but the price and quantity certainly doesn't compare. Not that it bothers me but why not.
It's of no surprise but reading past conversations on bonsai forums people will still argue about it, cat litter wars. lol

Who makes that Tesco stuff, maybe I can chase down what it gets re-branded as?

Last edited:

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I 've been looking for cat litter everywhere in my country. Supermarkets, chain stores, pet shops...no joy. Tesco sales whatewer is available closer and doesn't supply with the same products available in UK.
So I use terramol by Damolin... plus lava and pumice, all from CZ or Polish dealers. Maroun, if you find nothing you can contact them.(Damolin)

Im in contact with a pets product importer. He claims there's only 4 types of liter that get re-branded with different names and that he gets all 4. Will forward some of the articles about cat liter to him and see if he has some suitable one for Bonsai. Will try to get in touch with Damolin as well.
Thanks

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just thinking and I don't know how you would go for shipping to Lebanon, you may get lucky but since Slovakia is part of the EU you should be able to possibly order from Amazon. You may need to browse the .uk, .de , .fr etc... domains but they have loads of products and you may come across the right one.

For example a quick search for moler clay cat litter brought this up....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanicat-Pi...4123209&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+litter+moler+clay

Not sure if it is the right stuff and it's a bit pricey but you get the idea. I'll keep digging.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Top Bottom