Cation exchange capacity and water retention rates list

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell, I could have told you all that, but Al keeps putting these qulifiers on who gets to answer :mad:

There are 7,849 members here. You and I are in a very small minority.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hell, I could have told you all that, but Al keeps putting these qulifiers on who gets to answer :mad:

Good for you, you know that fertilizer is good for trees.

I don't think that there were any qualifiers on who could answer. I think that the chart was posted but it was difficult to read or understand, I deal with charts and data all day at work. Al kept poking and no one else would nibble so I responded, and made an ass out of myself with a huge spelling mistake.

John

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That's sphagnum moss, not peat. I use the moss as a top dressing and as a 5% soil component for quince in development (since pine bark, my normal organic component, is more likely to have nematodes).

Hmmm.... Maybe I need a lesson. I guess I've heard it referred to as peat-moss. What is the difference other than texture? Is it a different species?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Peat is partially decomposed sphagnum moss. We get this in big bags in Europe in any garden center.

That is what I thought. We get it from Canada or Canadian Peat. It comes in a big brick. So you just break that up into your soil mix?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is what I thought. We get it from Canada or Canadian Peat. It comes in a big brick. So you just break that up into your soil mix?

My Wife uses a small amount as a soil amendment for "some" of the landscape plants, tropicals. She tells me it helps but not on everything *shrugs*. I do not mess with it but this is the spec on what she has in the shed. It is made by Baccto.

Garden Magic Pre-Moistened Sphagnum Peat Moss

Garden Magic Pre-Moistened Sphagnum Peat Moss is ready for the home gardener right out of the bag. This product can be used as a top dressing for lawns and gardens as well as a base for custom mixes.
•Dense, fibrous brown sphagnum
• No dust and no pre-wetting needed
• Screened for uniform consistency
• Ready to use out of the bag

Recommended Applications:
•Planting trees, shrubs, flowers, vegetables, and bulbs
• Base mixture for acid loving plants
• Mulching of garden beds
• Aerate and loosen heavy soils
• Add body to light soil and help prevent erosion
• Base for custom mixes
•Winter protection

Product Availability:

Size Code
2 cu. ft. bags 5532

Grimmy

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
so the difference in coarse peat and regular peat is the thickness?
Because peat is sphagnum moss that decomposes and you remove it and its peat. So I don't know how or why there is two varieties. In Chile I can find only one kind, and it is the same from very different brands and from a producer that I found.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so the difference in coarse peat and regular peat is the thickness?
Because peat is sphagnum moss that decomposes and you remove it and its peat. So I don't know how or why there is two varieties. In Chile I can find only one kind, and it is the same from very different brands and from a producer that I found.

Peat is very fine...you do not want to use that on bonsai soil. Use shredded sphagnum moss. Though once decomposed it will become peat, as a substrate component, they are VERY DIFFERENT.

Some will label products as sphagnum peat...from experience here, it is still plain peat moss.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Peat is very fine...you do not want to use that on bonsai soil. Use shredded sphagnum moss. Though once decomposed it will become peat, as a substrate component, they are VERY DIFFERENT.

Some will label products as sphagnum peat...from experience here, it is still plain peat moss.

I think the confusing part of this is that Walter P. refers to his soil component as "coarse peat" on his blog. Peat is referred to on this thread as fine, decomposed sphagnum moss. So, is it the shredded sphagnum moss that Walter is referring to as "coarse peat"???

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the confusing part of this is that Walter P. refers to his soil component as "coarse peat" on his blog. Peat is referred to on this thread as fine, decomposed sphagnum moss. So, is it the shredded sphagnum moss that Walter is referring to as "coarse peat"???
Not sure but I believe so.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Coarse Peat is far less fine. It is what we call grower grade peat in the USA. Much like cutting sphagnum to 3 or 4 inch lengths. I do not know the specifications but that is the best I can describe it. It would take that a far longer time to break down to powder.

Grimmy

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
from the pictures I see online it looks like it is a less decomposed sphagnum moss... sort of a mix between peat and chopped sphagnum moss.

But I might be wrong... that is just speaking from what I can see from 600x400 pixels pictures of the stuff.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never seen a "coarse" peat here in the U.S., only the standard bales of compressed, fine peat. That said...Julian Adams has said that he adds this peat to his standard mix (mostly turface, some granite, a bit of peat). He told me he takes the compressed peat and roughly/partly breaks it, then passes it through a screen to remove the fine particles. I've tried this and you can get a small yield of peat "chunks" of various sizes that will hold together a bit, at least long enough to add to a soil mix and pot up a tree. I don't know how long they stay intact once they get in the pot and get watered every day.

Chris

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bump this topic with the fear that im just asking for a soil war, but if a war might lead to me making a better soil decision. So be it.

Thank you @Cable for pointing me to this chart. Some real good info here. I just wanted to ask if theres been any new info or anything has been since updated?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
and now for the final ingredient.....

giphy.gif
:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love perlite at least here for me.
I have to read this when I need it. The information is solid but it's a tough read for me anyway. It's easy enough as a reference when appropriate.

Attachments

• 45C64B6B-868E-461E-9214-C1643811B2E5.jpg
    45C64B6B-868E-461E-9214-C1643811B2E5.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 62

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love perlite at least here for me.
I have to read this when I need it. The information is solid but it's a tough read for me anyway. It's easy enough as a reference when appropriate.
Ohhh that looks like a thriller. Im sure i'll be glued to the edge of my seat! For real tho, i might have to remember to check it out next time i stop by a Barnes N Nobles.

Top Bottom