Chojubai for sale

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I purchased a chojubai from Don and it came today. I've purchased them from as far away as New York and as close as california. I always have difficulty during shipment where they get beat up pretty bad and within weeks expire. Even when I run them up to the curator of the pacific rim display to baby in their greenhouse.

All this to say, I have never seen a better packaged shipment in all the time I have had them shipped over the years. kudos to Don.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I purchased a chojubai from Don and it came today. I've purchased them from as far away as New York and as close as california. I always have difficulty during shipment where they get beat up pretty bad and within weeks expire. Even when I run them up to the curator of the pacific rim display to baby in their greenhouse.

All this to say, I have never seen a better packaged shipment in all the time I have had them shipped over the years. kudos to Don.

Were you the no reserve ebay victor? Dog that you may be lol...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Are you still selling older Chojubai, Don? I'm a new member specifically interested in established bonsai chojubai.
@Don Blackmond seems to have gone dark in the last 6-8 months. His website isn’t showing any material and he didn’t return my email when I contacted him looking for a tree before Christmas. Hope all is well, he’s had some good stuff.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you still selling older Chojubai, Don? I'm a new member specifically interested in established bonsai chojubai.

Welcome to the site! You might consider starting a thread in the forum "Wanted to Buy". There are a number of people on the site who sell chojubai, and you'll probably get some responses. The weather is wreaking havoc with nurseries atm, so you may have to wait until spring...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

FWIW I am/was a long-time consumer of some of Don’s good finds. Last we spoke the “cupboard” was bare so to speak and the old, good stuff is gone relative chojubai and several other excellent species he carries/carried.

He’s not responding to sales inquiries for months now so assuming he’s downsized his collection and is officially a “hobbyist” for lack of a better term.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah...I need to meet that guy’s weed connection. Starting at $888.00, BIN for $1,200?
Reminds me of something a hunting partner of mine said, years ago. “We don’t need every duck on this lake, just four or five really stupid ones.”

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah...I need to meet that guy’s weed connection. Starting at $888.00, BIN for $1,200?
Reminds me of something a hunting partner of mine said, years ago. “We don’t need every duck on this lake, just four or five really stupid ones.”
It will be interesting to see if it sells. They’re tiny, slow growing, and in-demand. The right “duck” just may be out there.?

Mike H

Seedling
Reaction score
Japanese Chojubai are very hard to come by, especially old specimens like this. I have not seen them for sale since the USDA banned them from importing into the US.
It will be very interesting to see this one for $888 and how high the price will go. The other one with the green beige pot for $1,050 was snatched up last weekend.
If you think the right "duck" will purchase the $888, check out the following twig that was sold for $75. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Red-Flow...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 8.05.56 AM.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Japanese Chojubai are very hard to come by, especially old specimens like this. I have not seen them for sale since the USDA banned them from importing into the US.
It will be very interesting to see this one for $888 and how high the price will go. The other one with the green beige pot for $1,050 was snatched up last weekend.
If you think the right "duck" will purchase the $888, check out the following twig that was sold for $75. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Red-Flow...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
View attachment 238048
I got one from Brent a couple years ago for $27 that is much better than this one. Well not everyone knows about Brent.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Bill Valavanis has 'white chojubai' for sale on his site at international bonsai....$65 for a 1 gallon size. 'chaenomeles japonica' . Probably spelled that wrong.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 238048
Thank you for illuminating that for me. I was not aware that there was a ban on imports. When did the ban go into effect?
I would presume, then, that any for sale that are not specifically identified as being Japanese are propagated from existing stock? Obviously, a pre-ban imported tree would be expensive for its rarity. [lightbulb moment]
Along the same lines, I have a Taylor guitar made of Brazilian rosewood in '97. That wood has been on CITES Appendix 1 since '92, meaning a complete import/export ban, and the only new material is salvaged from stumps. As existing US stocks have been used up the price has skyrocketed, and replacing that guitar today would be a $15,000 proposition at minimum. A former client had one made at the Taylor custom shop four or five years ago, and I believe he dropped 21 grand on it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@shinmai - next time I see you remind me to tell you about ''hanging out'' with the plant taxonomist that was mapping distribution of Dalbergia through the forest of a country I won't name here.

I am skeptical about a complete ban on importing 'Chojubai' or Chaenomeles in general from Japan. I believe there is a quarantine requirement, but I don't believe there is a complete ban. For fruit trees, which would include Chaenomeles, I believe the quarantine is a full 2 years on the USA receiving end. There are likely no shortcuts, with azalea the quarantine can be "served" at an inspected and approved nursery in Japan and therefore shorten or skip the quarantine in USA after import. But I believe no matter what a Chaenomeles imported would require 2 years after arriving at the USA Port of Entry (Miami is the best port to use for plants). I could be wrong, but I believe this is the case. The quarantine requirement adds hundreds of dollars cost to importing a plant and the arrangements made are complicated and detailed.

However, Chaenomeles, flowering quince, including 'Chojubai' are already in the USA in fairly high numbers. Just about everyone in bonsai I know, that has been around for more than 5 years has a 'Chojubai'. They root from cuttings easily. There is no reason for them to be considered ''rare'', except as hype to drive up prices.

Now it does take 30 or more years to develop an 'Chojubai' old enough to have the unique silvery bark that they are famous for. I can see paying significant money for a well developed 'Chojubai' that has nice rough silvery bark. I see no point in paying more than $100 for a young, 'Chojubai' with no age or size to it. It it isn't old enough to have the mature bark, it isn't worth more than a similar size of any other cultivar of Chaenomeles.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Me too. they go black.:(
Maybe y’all just care too much. I basically ignore mine, in the shade without repotting for years on end and they’re ok. I just need to watch for aphids every few weeks.
4AA46F62-862D-4BEF-AA1F-E26E854C47FF.jpegBC614DD8-A99D-4075-BC52-6BDF07F00E91.jpeg
These were $12 each in 2 3/4” pots from Brent in 2013.
B086F3A6-DCDE-4602-887F-3C5D397175BD.jpeg
Guess I really should be making cuttings. My daughter is looking at some expensive colleges...

Top Bottom