Chopped BC Beast Growth Question - remove any new growth now?

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey All,

This might be a stupid question...

My chopped BC are starting to explode. Before it may be too late I wanted to ask if it is the time to start removing/managing any new growth - if not, when is the right time?

Here is the tree with the most growth so far. The reason I am asking is that there are already a tonne of shoots, some getting super thick, branching, competing. If these are all left on too long, will they A) create bulging where they are emerging from the same locations and/or B) create too many bad scars if left too thick?

Should this just be left alone 100% until later on this year? If so, when do I start working on it?

Thanks in advance!

20200329_101256.jpg

20200329_101330.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I typically start removing once I see it there are a couple of good choices for leaders. I Usually leave three or four choices just in case one doesn’t make it.
It looks like you have lots to choose from.... Probably could have picked a leader last season from the amount of growth.
I assume you’re looking to build taper… Or are you looking to start branches already?

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes, definitely thin them down to one where you have several emerging from one place, they will make a bulge there on the trunk if you don't. Find the one that you want to use for your next leader and remove all of the others, if you don't it will make a bulge at your chop site that will make the transition unsightly. You can leave the rest unless they start competing with your new leader, you can always remove them in the fall. This will let the tree make plenty of energy, it needs leaves to do that.

John

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I typically start removing once I see it there are a couple of good choices for leaders. I Usually leave three or four choices just in case one doesn’t make it.
It looks like you have lots to choose from.... Probably could have picked a leader last season from the amount of growth.
I assume you’re looking to build taper… Or are you looking to start branches already?
Hey Aaron,

Believe it or not this is all brand new growth - this thing is exploding! I chopped it in December, and here it is next to some of my other chops from this year. The difference between this one and the others is that it was a nursery tree (the others were dug in the wild in February) and I did minimal root cleaning. It seems like root cleaning might be the main factor.

Mainly looking to build taper at this point, perhaps star a few branches - is it possible or realistic to do both this year or just the taper development?

Thanks!

20200330_185910.jpg

20200330_190021.jpg

20200330_190118.jpg

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Yes, definitely thin them down to one where you have several emerging from one place, they will make a bulge there on the trunk if you don't. Find the one that you want to use for your next leader and remove all of the others, if you don't it will make a bulge at your chop site that will make the transition unsightly. You can leave the rest unless they start competing with your new leader, you can always remove them in the fall. This will let the tree make plenty of energy, it needs leaves to do that.

John
Hey M-M!

I'm not sure if you remember, but you helped me in December to make the decision on where to chop this one.

So it is OK to start removing some of this new growth now? Just leave the stronger shoots and remove the smaller ones growing around them? Leave the lower growth as well for branches and potentially remove in the fall?

Do you use knob cutters to do a concave cut or branch cutters and just flush to the trunk?

Thanks!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
new growth
Holy crap! That’s impressive.
I would concentrate on selecting a leader in order to build taper and cut them extra shoots like MM suggested rather than branches... Plenty of time for that down the road. Don’t forget to seal your cuts.
Great start on this tree...If it were mine… It would be very tempting for me to want to make the angle cut now....BUT temptation is the devils playground LOL
You should probably wait for that!!!😜

Top Bottom