Christmas Newbie in FL

Flawnsai

Seed
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new and have been lurking the bonsai world for a few months. My mother noticed my new interest and gifted me a tree this holiday.

Is this a "Mallsai" and what should I do to keep it healthy these first years? I was told it was purchased from 1800Flowers and stayed in the box for about 3 days before I opened it on Christmas. I have had it outdoors where it gets morning sun. I watered it once out of the box and once when the water started looking dry-ish.

It "looks" generally healthy but you never know.
1-Should I give it different soil because I have no idea what soil it's in?
2-Because of my location and climate, "winter" means that cold weather (30 degrees F or 0 Celcius) can last 3 days, and then it's 70 degrees F (or 20C) the same week and repeat that unstable cycle from November until the end of February. How do others deal with this type of weather with junipers?

Climate: Subtropical/typical Southern USA weather
Tree: Juniper Precombens Nana

Attachments

• bonsai-nana.jpg
    bonsai-nana.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 28

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like you’re more well-informed than the usual bonsai gift recipient! I don’t think you need to rush to get it out of the soil yet. When you water, you want it to run right through it without pooling up. That humidity tray isnt doing anything but if you like how it looks you can keep it. I would ditch it personally. When watering you should just bring it in and run it under the sink until thoroughly saturated. You’ll need to learn how often to water based on when its dry, weight of the pot, time since last watered, etc. My guess would be once every couple of days this time of year? You need to let it dry out significantly between waterings but it is a fine line. Hopefully a Floridian will chime in with their opinion on that. Lastly, it wont change much over time in that pot, so if you’d like to see it grow you’re going to want to look at other options until it is the size you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Love the Name! Though, I don't know what it means! It is either a wonderful play on words, or a more wonderful play on more words!

This has potential same as anything else. Though some of that potential may be realized by one day removing it from that pot and smashing the pot to tiny pieces! Not because we don't appreciate the gift, to make mom a mosaic!

Cheers!

Sorce

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the hobby! Junipers should be kept outdoors year round in full sun. Maybe in Florida a little afternoon shade would be OK during the summer. This species is very commonly used for bonsai, and you will find a ton of information about it with a search.

Flawnsai

Seed
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re more well-informed than the usual bonsai gift recipient! I don’t think you need to rush to get it out of the soil yet. When you water, you want it to run right through it without pooling up. That humidity tray isnt doing anything but if you like how it looks you can keep it. I would ditch it personally. When watering you should just bring it in and run it under the sink until thoroughly saturated. You’ll need to learn how often to water based on when its dry, weight of the pot, time since last watered, etc. My guess would be once every couple of days this time of year? You need to let it dry out significantly between waterings but it is a fine line. Hopefully a Floridian will chime in with their opinion on that. Lastly, it wont change much over time in that pot, so if you’d like to see it grow you’re going to want to look at other options until it is the size you want.
Thank you. I did lots of research before receiving one as a gift. I had a feeling that humidity tray wasn't doing anything but I didn't feel experienced enough to question it. I'll keep watching it like you said and get the hang of watering soon. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Flawnsai

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Love the Name! Though, I don't know what it means! It is either a wonderful play on words, or a more wonderful play on more words!

This has potential same as anything else. Though some of that potential may be realized by one day removing it from that pot and smashing the pot to tiny pieces! Not because we don't appreciate the gift, to make mom a mosaic!

Cheers!

Sorce
Haha let's call the name a wonderful play on words.
Thanks.
I will definitely be repotting it in a larger pot maybe next year or right before next winter. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to keep my new baby alive for a while before moving it.

Top Bottom