Christmas Tree Bonsai Species

EverydayDiesel

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to add to my (new) bonsai collection a Christmas tree but I am not sure what species I should get.
I would like it to grow inside and out and look like a traditional christmas tree (pine needles etc)

Does anyone have any recommendations on a tree that I can keep outdoors in texas (in the shade) for about 10 months and inside 2 months out of the year.

Thanks in advice for your suggestions

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
chamaecyparis lawsoniana "ellwoodii" ?

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard'. might be nice....but this (as are most) is an outdoor tree and will not fair well indoors.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The best mini Christmas tree is the dwarf Alberta spruce IMO. It loves container life and they are very hardy BUT I don't know how it would do keeping it inside for two months.

Maybe bring that time down to say two weeks? If you don't you may end up decorating a ficus!

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
There are no types of common Christmas tree species that would survive indoors for 2 months.

You are going to have to get a species that you can style be the shape of a Christmas tree, but it will not be a conifer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second Norfolk Pine.

They sell em at Xmas in the depot.

And people always Give them away free on craigslist. Good time of year too, cuz they get too big to bring back inside. And apparently, 75% of people don't know you can prune a tree!
Lol

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And apparently, 75% of people don't know you can prune a tree!

Funny you said that. Yesterday a friend that gave us a Norfolk early last year as it outgrew her bay window :rolleyes: I had it outside this past Summer and I had to cut it way back to get in the door. They can be shaped similar to a Christmas tree though and they also do great indoors. We just water it when it goes dry about every 3 - 4 days.

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While on the subject, is it possible to collect a christmas tree after it has been kept indoor for a few weeks (with minimal water)? What are the chances (is it worth trying / should i place them at my parents place ;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are the chances (is it worth trying / should i place them at my parents place ;)

Not here... You can have a live tree with the roots in burlap delivered for 250 - 350 USD. They tell you it will die if brought indoors for more then 24 hours and offer no warranty.

Grimmy

EverydayDiesel

Sapling
Reaction score
I second Norfolk Pine.

They sell em at Xmas in the depot.

And people always Give them away free on craigslist. Good time of year too, cuz they get too big to bring back inside. And apparently, 75% of people don't know you can prune a tree!
Lol

Sorce

All the Christmas trees I have seen for free has had their trunk cut off. I guess I will have to look for one still planted in a pot

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the Christmas trees I have seen for free has had their trunk cut off. I guess I will have to look for one still planted in a pot

Lol. Or they are plastic,

I usually see them posted as indoor pine,,,,
OR GIANT HOUSE PLANT!

Keep lookin!

Sorce

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Its a cool idea to have a Bonsai that you can yearly bring in around xmas time but unfortuately doesnt seem like it would work. I have kept my eyes open though and If I see a norfolk pine for the low I might grab one

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They had a sea of Norfolk pine at my Suburban depot a couple weeks ago!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lowe's had some seriously awesome Colorado blue sources who good trunks for $30, shoulda bought one.

The had Norfolk pines too.

Have you thought about rosemary? Lowe's had pine shaped rosemary as well.

Top Bottom