Cicadas are on the way

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great, something else to worry about. Cicadas haven’t been an issue for me in the past - I only find their wings in the pots as I guess the birds don’t like wings.

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember being in downtown Cincinnati a couple of decades ago during a major swarm. I have never before , or after, seen anything like it. Waiting to cross the street, you could become covered with the little beasties. Very creepy.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2024 cicadas are on the way to the Midwest and SE USA. I remember when they were heavy in the Carolinas in 2011 and people would freak out just pumping their gas or going from car to store like they were going to be taken away.

Any special considerations to protect bonsai? I know the females will cut branches to lay their eggs. Are these typically large branches only or would smaller i.e., bonsai sized branches be affected, too?
Not really an special considerations. We had them heavy in 2021 or so here in N. Va. (can't remember exactly). They didn't bother my trees all that much. They do bother larger forest trees by splitting twigging at the ends of branches to lay eggs. At the end of the cicada emergence, the trees in the woods had dead "flagging" twigs on the ends of their branches. This can happen to bonsai, but for the most part, the branching on bonsai is too small for them. That said, I did shoo them away or pick them off when I saw them on my trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, something else to worry about. Cicadas haven’t been an issue for me in the past - I only find their wings in the pots as I guess the birds don’t like wings.
You're not int the flight path this time. 😁

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had several trees damaged in 21. I have pics somewhere. The scars don't heal.

Top Bottom