CLOSING WOUNDS

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 if you still have the tree.. Any updates? Would be great to see a progression of the wound closing.

Sold! The wound was closing well albeit slowly since the tree was a very slow growing cultivar. I will see if I can contact the new owner and take some pics.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Also, I just remembered that I did same technique on a few very large scars (4"+) on Piglet and will post pics of them.

Want to mention for those less experienced. If you have larger wounds you do not have to resort to this technique necessarily. The tree (specially fast growing species such as acer) can/will heal them with no issues. It is ONLY meant if the wood underneath is rotted that this technique is very useful and effective.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I just remembered that I did same technique on a few very large scars (4"+) on Piglet and will post pics of them.
Thx. I was mostly interested in seeing how much closing you had in the first season, and whether it took off after that. I am editing a video I did on this technique, where the edges are not closing as much as I would have liked:

1703858074204.png

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Thx. I was mostly interested in seeing how much closing you had in the first season, and whether it took off after that. I am editing a video I did on this technique, where the edges are not closing as much as I would have liked:

View attachment 522608
@leatherback I think some tridents just close wounds better than others. I’ve got some tridents that are closing large wounds amazingly fast, with thick healthy callous. Others are much slower and produce very thin callous which almost seems to dry up in sections and stop moving all together.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 522608

Jelle, have you also tried scarring the edge of the callous to encourage it to keep rolling?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jelle, have you also tried scarring the edge of the callous to encourage it to keep rolling?
Absolutely!
It is however a very old wound, with loads of soft wood and I had to carve deel to get to the end of rotting wood. It could just be that it needs to pick up strength in that area.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Absolutely!
It is however a very old wound, with loads of soft wood and I had to carve deel to get to the end of rotting wood. It could just be that it needs to pick up strength in that area.

Yes, quite possibly. Of course I will also assume that you know that to close wounds faster the tree needs to be growing vigorously. I know with you I am probably stating the obvious but this comment is really meant for others that are perhaps less experienced.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is one large scar on Piglet. For those not familiar with it here is the thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/piglet-chapter-2.37719/

Originally Judy had carved these large wounds to leave them as deadwood or at least that is my assumption. The carving work was nicely done but ultimately decided to go ahead clean the area out, fill it with two part epoxy and have it close nice and even. This work was done in spring 2023.

Below is one of three large scars that I am in the process of healing. This one is 3.5" round. In this first photo you can see the cut paste evenly cracking around the perimeter of the wound. This is always a good sign that the callous is rolling well.

IMG_2648.jpeg

In this second photo I am removing the callous which at this point it came off easily and in one piece.

IMG_2650 copy.jpg

Afterwards one can see clearly the callous rolling evenly throughout. Total expected time before closing about 3 years.

IMG_2651.jpeg

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A little correction as I read back my last post. In the second photo description I meant removing the cut paste and not the callous! Sorry too much holiday drinking! 🤪

Not sure why it is not possible to edit our posts after a 20 mins :rolleyes:

Top Bottom