Collected Buxus

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a Boxwood that was initially given to me by a landscaper friend a few years ago. I set it out in the garden to allow it to recover from being dug less than delicately. Recently I decided it was time to begin work on it. Below are two pictures, one before and one after. Not shown is a very large amount of fibrous roots that should allow the tree to recover nicely. I have no idea where I am going with this one style-wise so any thoughts are welcome. In particular I wonder if anyone thinks that I did not cut it back hard enough.

Norm

Attachments

• P3060004-crop.jpg
    P3060004-crop.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 163
  • P3060018-crop.jpg
    P3060018-crop.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 247

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Norm,
Do you think you'll be able to incorporate that beefy branch on the lower left into the final image? It looks pretty hefty relative to the trunk and I don't see a way to make it the new trunkline.

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Grog,

Good eye, yes it is very stout. It is the largest branch on the tree and it emerges from a point that is lower than all of the rest. So You're suggesting that I remove it? Thanks for your input.

Norm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you show us this one from more directions? I'd like to see it from all sides. Looks like a nice piece of material.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FWIW I wouldn't remove it neither at this point in time. As Chris suggested more views will allow us to form a better opinion. Personally I see a serious reduction of the main branches (length) and start working on taper from the main branches that already exist. This should result in a serious tree in years to come.

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Chris & Rick,

Here are the additional views. Starting with the "front" view and rotating counter-clockwise 90 degrees. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job on the new photos. I was going to say I might like the big branch as a feature, but it may be bigger than the trunk. If you can keep it and style this as a massive tree in a modified broom, I'd be inclined to go that way. If you remove it, it will have to be incorporated as a feature by carving. In all I'd say this is a nice piece of material with great potential! Good find!

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
I thought I would go ahead and update this thread. After two seasons of recovery from being potted here's where things stand now. These pictures were taken on December first as I was putting everything to bed for the winter. Some of the foliage is looking a little 'bronzed' as it was rather late in the season.

I decided to remove the overly large branch that was too low and was overpowering the other branches. Realizing that the wound would not likely heal in many years I instead carved a Uro. Taking care not to create a symmetrical feature, the outline is irregular and the depth varies. This angle is the same as the 'leftt' pictured previously.

The other picture is the right side and is to give an overall feel of where the tree is now. Other than the Uro I was able to shorten some of the main branches. Still no grand scheme in mind other than generally reducing the thick branches, my design skills still fall short.

Norm

Attachments

• Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks nice and healthy, good work. Now comes the time to make some decisions. You have several "secondary" trunks that are competing. I would suggest picking a couple to remove. It's your tree, and you have the best look at it so make a decision and cut. It's not necessarily about picking the right ones to keep, as removing the ones you know you can't keep. Try not to focus too much on your current front when choosing. Remember to looka from all sides and angles. I think with some time and care, you'll have a very nice tree to be proud of.

Dave

(I have a boxwood much like yours and it has presented many of the same problems. I'm not quite as far along however)

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
HotAction,

Looks nice and healthy, good work.
Thanks, I was really trying to get some good growth before I did anything too drastic.

Try not to focus too much on your current front when choosing.
Understood, the designations were primarily for the sake of the discussion. There is not really any front or back yet.

I have a boxwood much like yours and it has presented many of the same problems.
Is your tree posted anywhere on this site?

Norm

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a nice start on this. I agree you might begin thinking about which of those major branches belong and which could go. I'd suggest not removing the less than ideal selections. Instead prune them hard to where the first growth emerges, then pull that shoot down to the horizontal.

Do that repeatedly (and you can repeat it on the upper reaches of the main trunk's secondary branching also) and the plant will have more depth in foliage--avoiding the 'Poodle cut"--and branching to work with.

All the upward growing shoots should be wired down to 45 degrees or more to prevent the stiff appearance that box tends to get.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rock, good call with working the branches back slow. Boxwood seem to back bud readily, and always present new options as you slowly chase the foliage back down the long bare branches.

Gnome, hear is a link to my thread. http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826&highlight=wintergem

Hopefully we'll be able to learn from each others experiences.

Dave

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Rock & Dave,

Thanks for the input. I was able to reduce the primary branches some this past season but I will look hard at it again this coming spring.

Norm

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great Job!! Looking forward to more pics in the near future. I am new to Bonsai. Just into my 6th month. What is a Uro? Thanks Joe

Top Bottom