Collected Boxwood (Buxus)

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
It's looking really good. Love the trunk.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice progression so far, Dario. I wasn't sure about that lower branch removal, but it looks good now that it's filling out.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As of 05/19/2013...after some wiring and lowering the right branch. It still have a "flat" top but it will be remedied soon. :)

Still need to fill in but getting close to where I want it to be...especially once the graft (at right) took and developed.

View attachment 35962

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looking good, this ones gonna be great in a few years once its in a proper pot.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys!!! :cool:

I didn't stop actually and reduced the foliage at right (around 2 o'clock) and more "cleaning". It looks better now IMHO. No pics though, getting dark already.

I have another spot I want to graft so I will be growing a whip for that.

I plan on potting (proper bonsai pot but probably over sized) this tree before it's 2nd year anniversary. :)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
As of 05/19/2013...after some wiring and lowering the right branch. It still have a "flat" top but it will be remedied soon. :)

Still need to fill in but getting close to where I want it to be...especially once the graft (at right) took and developed.

View attachment 35962

Man Dario, this tree has come a LONG way in a short period of time, nicely done!
I too love the trunk, and the two secondary trunks. This will be a really nice tree when you're done! Thanks for sharing the progression!
Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Chris.

I sure pushed this one more than the rest. Once it filled in, I will wire it properly and thin the inner foliage to expose the branch structure I am currently building/working on, most are hidden for now. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As of Aug. 24, 2013 (18 months from collection)
Most wires removed and further trimming.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks really good. You'll need to stop pinching though. I know how you love pinching. :D Right now, you have small compactions of foliage emanating from the trunk, but very few actual branches. Let it grow and ramify. Then you can wire those branches. You'll be shocked at how fast it will look more like a finished tree. :D

You've probably already seen this, but here is a great tree and the development. Lots of branches.

Rob

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12523-progression-of-a-neea-buxifolia-in-9-years

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Rob.

The branches are there being built...under the pom-poms. ;) This is not the final size...probably another 3" all around. Once it extends out more, I can clean out some of the inner foliage to show you the branches. Just give me another year and then you can tell me if my way is wrong. :)

Budi is in Asia, I am sure you know what that means growing period wise. His 9 years is equivalent to 18 or so to us. I am also growing a Neea, I'll see how it comes out building it my way...in 9 years (or less).

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent. Lots of opinions, and well meaning advice. You did it your way and it worked. It looks like some posts with virtuals were deleted. I guess they were upset that you didn't do what they suggested. Too bad for us. It would have been interesting to see more ideas/options on how to treat this material.

Andy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am not happy with the dual apex so I destroyed this bonsai around fall last year. :D It grew and here is the pic as of 04/12/2014

attachment.php

Today (04/27/2014) I repotted it (Bryan Albright pot) and trimmed some. Not the best pot but the only one I have available for now at this size. Will find a better pot later.

Still a long way to go but I am happier with my "step back" and should be moving forward from now on. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1160660.jpg
    P1160660.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 116
  • P1160798a.jpg
    P1160798a.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 213

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that tree is some nice starter material. Well done looks awesome already! Do you know the Buxus species?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good work Dario. That looks much better.

Thanks. It will be a cookie cutter tree but I like it still.

Here is a rough virt goal for the year (or two) :D .
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1160798a.jpg
    P1160798a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey,that's awesome.There is a special place in my heart for cookie cutter trees.All jokes aside.I am glad you are having results with your efforts in tree collecting.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,that's awesome.There is a special place in my heart for cookie cutter trees.All jokes aside.I am glad you are having results with your efforts in tree collecting.

Thanks. :)

More of my trees are getting in their new pots and (still far but) looking more like bonsai now. This did not show any signs of leaf withering though I did a really drastic root chop and root ball cleaning/flattening. I know the new growth will be impacted (slowed down) but that is fine. At least the worst (drastic chops) is over and just routine maintenance from now on for this tree. :)

Top Bottom