Collected Chinese? Junipers 8/27/17 USDA zone 8 Coastal Alabama

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I realized this weekend that there are tons of baby junipers all over the place in my neighborhood that I moved into last year. I believe they are Chinese junipers. I will post some pics later. The neighborhood is still being developed so there are many lots still covered.

I couldn't help myself but to dig up a few of them this weekend. One of them I literally dug up the root ball at the same diameter as the container I had available (running out of my years stash of soil) and the other I sprayed off and carefully planted in some good drainage southern Alabama bonsai soil.

Both will be kept in the shade till next yr minimum. The one I placed in the bonsai soil I gave it a fairly hard wiring. I also pruned some of the extreme growth tips and dead foliage (overall a pretty light pruning, I tried to leave about 80% of the foliage, undisturbed).

They are both around a foot tall and maybe 3/8 inch trunks. There are probably 100 more around the neighborhood. Im thinking im going to need to make some more soil soon and start getting some more of them.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should wait until later winter to get these or should it be ok if I collect now?

I would really like to be able to wired the crap out of them next year hard. Like what was demonstrated in the linked thread. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/one-more-time-yamadori-style-junipers.4789/

Does anyone know if a small Chinese juniper (at least that's what I think it is) can be collected and wired hard all at the same time in late winter?

Robert

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here are the pics of the what i believe is some sort of chinese juniper.

Thoughts?
th_thumb_IMG_4336_1024.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
th_thumb_IMG_4336_1024.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
try again.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_4333_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4333_1024.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 45
  • thumb_IMG_4334_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4334_1024.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 43
  • thumb_IMG_4335_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4335_1024.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 40
  • thumb_IMG_4336_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4336_1024.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 42

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vin, thank you much for the insight. well that kind of sucks. I was hoping I had little potential juniper bonsai saplings growing all around me. Been dreaming about it at night. I guess I will still collect a few to mess with and see if I can make something out of them.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin, thank you much for the insight. well that kind of sucks. I was hoping I had little potential juniper bonsai saplings growing all around me. Been dreaming about it at night. I guess I will still collect a few to mess with and see if I can make something out of them.
You can, though some may argue. I have a few but honestly you're much better off trying to find one with an interesting trunk. Most are beanpole straight. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And their natural beautiful state is beanpole straight...ish!

Love em!

Sorce

Top Bottom