Collected Sagebrush (Artemisia Tridentata)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are absolutely amazing, Danny! Why aren't more people using these as bonsai? They're fantastic. I wish I could have one but they probably wouldn't do well over here.
Thanks Cory! Great question also. It seems they are mostly inland species and need some level of cold. All these were collected at around 8000 ft. They scorch just slightly here in Abq at 5000 ft. But I’d be so curious as to where they thrive. They definitely dry quicker than all of my other trees but can take being dry. It’s been fun playing with them that’s for sure!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Need to go get myself some, but I have so much to keep up on right now more trees might be a bad idea.
Wrong time of year anyway.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
This makes me miss the southwest a bit. I lived in Burqué for several years but had not taken up bonsai at that time… I kick myself now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hartinez,
I’m having fun exploring sage too!
This one has responded well (in the container 2yrs).
With raffia and black tape, l was able to bend more than l thought was possible.
I had a question…
The spring growth is extending long( 6-8”).
How much are you cutting yours back? And when?

Attachments

• 09EE3475-D7B6-470F-8198-560758D818DB.jpeg
    09EE3475-D7B6-470F-8198-560758D818DB.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 55

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hartinez,
With raffia and black tape, l was able to bend more than l thought was possible.
I had a question…

I was wondering the same question :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hartinez,
I had a question…
I was wondering the same question :)
Im new to them also! As of right now I’m treating them more as a slower growing deciduous, with multiple cut backs in a given year. So far so good with 2 seasons of pruning this way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Ok, That was what i was thinking. That first flush was straight with no branching, l cut back to above where it seem like a new branch was forming.
I had enough for a smudge when l was done😌

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1B175F7E-9247-4D79-80FE-BFC79EF7244A.jpegF01FF162-4846-4DCB-93CE-F27FB4CB73BF.jpeg
Here’s another fun sagebrush. It will need to go into a pot next year, though I may have other plans for it for someone in particular. I think it would look best in a Round pot maybe something with nails. The trunk has really great live vein and deadwood play. I’m still trying to figure out the best way to differentiate the live vein and the deadwood on the species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There are so many great ones uncollected still also!
Yeah! Those compact twisty ones can be hard to find.
Are you collecting in the flats or at more exposed sites? I’ve only found compact growth on the windward side of exposed hills.
Also, are you finding some root contained or are you usually having to cut “the” taproot and roll the 🎲?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah! Those compact twisty ones can be hard to find.
Are you collecting in the flats or at more exposed sites? I’ve only found compact growth on the windward side of exposed hills.
Also, are you finding some root contained or are you usually having to cut “the” taproot and roll the 🎲?
All in open flats at about 8k feet. 100s of acres. In the spring collection has been very easy. Usually there are a decent amount of feeder roots, but there is always a taproot to cut, but I’m at 100% success in the spring. These are my first fall collections and I did not bare root as usual. I left a decent rootball with field soil. We’ll see. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reaction score
Absolutely Beautiful...top job Hartinez.
They remind me so much of our Victorian Tea Tree - Leptospermum laevigatum.
Gnarly shapes with gorgeous bark and blue/green/grey foliage.
You find a lot of them growing in wind blown,coastal areas...the shapes are just phenominal (but nature always is : )
Love the pot too...awesome!

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how to feel about sagebrush as bonsai, though I commend your efforts to test the waters.

In terms of are they good bonsai I guess my questions would be:

1. Can they live long term in containers?

Most likely given they will grow in small gaps and cracks and very small pockets of soil in extreme weather conditions.

2.What is the lifespan of Artemisia Tridentata?

I certainly remember a lot of dead ones in those enormous expanses of land and perhaps blowing tumbleweed style across the highway.

3.Is it too 'easy' in terms of what is has to offer for bonsai?

As you pointed out these are literally endless in population and span a large range and elevation.

Spectacular and old specimens of any size and shape exist in every possible contorted form you could imagine and they are regarded as weeds or trash in the west.

Now I might just be a snob because I grew up in Sun Valley, Idaho where as stated these are literally everywhere.

I treat the local invasive species of Lonicera where I live in the st. Louis area with the same disdain despite once again seeing amazing specimens all the time I just can't bring myself to work with them.

So does there commonality as naturally twisted, gnarled, and compactly growing shrubs cheapen them as material?

Not sure. On an international level I think people would be fascinated. People from the western United States might have a hard time taking them as seriously.

Again kudos for doing the work with them, it is the only way we will ever know with the native species in America -so many of which have unique and unexplored characteristics.

Just my opinion as a once Westerner, certainly wish I was interested in bonsai than as I was way up in the mountains constantly.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how to feel about sagebrush as bonsai, though I commend your efforts to test the waters.

In terms of are they good bonsai I guess my questions would be:

1. Can they live long term in containers?

Most likely given they will grow in small gaps and cracks and very small pockets of soil in extreme weather conditions.

2.What is the lifespan of Artemisia Tridentata?

I certainly remember a lot of dead ones in those enormous expanses of land and perhaps blowing tumbleweed style across the highway.

3.Is it too 'easy' in terms of what is has to offer for bonsai?

As you pointed out these are literally endless in population and span a large range and elevation.

Spectacular and old specimens of any size and shape exist in every possible contorted form you could imagine and they are regarded as weeds or trash in the west.

Now I might just be a snob because I grew up in Sun Valley, Idaho where as stated these are literally everywhere.

I treat the local invasive species of Lonicera where I live in the st. Louis area with the same disdain despite once again seeing amazing specimens all the time I just can't bring myself to work with them.

So does there commonality as naturally twisted, gnarled, and compactly growing shrubs cheapen them as material?

Not sure. On an international level I think people would be fascinated. People from the western United States might have a hard time taking them as seriously.

Again kudos for doing the work with them, it is the only way we will ever know with the native species in America -so many of which have unique and unexplored characteristics.

Just my opinion as a once Westerner, certainly wish I was interested in bonsai than as I was way up in the mountains constantly.
I have no idea if they can live long term in containers but I dont see why not.

not sure the lifespan.

Considering that, as you are not sure, and that im not sure, how they do in containers, I def do not think it is too ‘easy’ as to what these have to offer. Based on your first two questions alone, the species have so many unanswered questions with still so many other unknowns to answer. Like - what are the best wiring practices considering how fragile they can be? What is the best way to handle dead to live wood to present the contrast in its best light? What specifically are the foliage and growth management techniques during the seasons?
Also, if the abundance of the specimen available are a drawback then one seed juniper or Siberian elem would fit that same bill for me here where im from. Rather, i think these trees are untapped gems with so much to learn and can be taken so far regardless of wether they are all around us or not. If it did cheapen them as material we would see people utilizing them as bonsai everywhere that they range. After looking at thousands of them already, I can also say, that some present MUCH better than others. Another differing aspect is how they are presented. Just mossing the base of a pot, with an accent and vertical scroll would not fit these trees. They present an oppurtunity to rethink the formal display in ways that aren’t happening. I am def going to push the species as far I can go.

Top Bottom