Collected sub alpine fir, triple trunk design.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update, reviewed the styling and made some changes, overall development will take longer but the change will improve the design in the long run! This type of change is more possible with the growth pattern and back budding propensity. Will be watching for bud development on the middle trunk:eek:

IMG_1405.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Absolutely breath-taking!

This will be one of those trees my grandkids discuss. :)

Also gets me VERY amped up for collecting season! I can only “scout” now... i am growing antsy.

🤓

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's great to follow the progression of this tree over time! For the middle trunk, will the new leader and apex growth come from a new bud from the chop point? Or, if there's an existing branch right below where you chopped, can that be wired up to become the new leader/apex?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Absolutely breath-taking!

This will be one of those trees my grandkids discuss. :)

Also gets me VERY amped up for collecting season! I can only “scout” now... i am growing antsy.

🤓
Thanks, wouldn't it be wonderful if one could find very good trees each time one went out collecting! When the truth is often I come home empty handed. The good thing is the walk back down the mountain is easier with a lighter pack!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's great to follow the progression of this tree over time! For the middle trunk, will the new leader and apex growth come from a new bud from the chop point? Or, if there's an existing branch right below where you chopped, can that be wired up to become the new leader/apex?
With this species some new buds should form near the chop and the best ones will be selected for the new apex as well as some side branches where possible! There is a smaller branch a bit lower the could be wired up if that fails!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks, wouldn't it be wonderful if one could find very good trees each time one went out collecting! When the truth is often I come home empty handed. The good thing is the walk back down the mountain is easier with a lighter pack!
Yes! The empty-handed trips show the most self control... and “save the passion” for worthy specimens.

Then one last mental attempt to “fill those hands”

“Well I guess I DID see a couple lil’.. “
*slaps myself with a newspaper*
Nooo! No! ...BAD tree collector!

🤓

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes! The empty-handed trips show the most self control... and “save the passion” for worthy specimens.

Then one last mental attempt to “fill those hands”

“Well I guess I DID see a couple lil’.. “
*slaps myself with a newspaper*
Nooo! No! ...BAD tree collector!

🤓
Exactly, Collecting is quick compared to acclimating, developing, refining. Even when it is difficult and takes all day, that is quick compared to the journey. It has to be worth the collection and the journey.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It’s interesting the different “relationships” one develops with specimens...

Ones that you successfully “capture” from the wild have an ENTIRELY different “give and take” and “dialogue” with you, the gatherer/artist than say, a tree grown from seed... BOTH tremendously rewarding and satisfying relationships.. just different.

🤓

Reaction score
I love the triple-trunk form of this tree. very natural and graceful. reminds me of a real tree, more than most. I wish I lived anywhere near where trees like this are collected

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love the triple-trunk form of this tree. very natural and graceful. reminds me of a real tree, more than most. I wish I lived anywhere near where trees like this are collected
The triple trunk form is not as common, actually not always as well accepted by traditional Bonsai practitioners. Part of the evolution of the art in that respect. I can understand the history, I feel it is very rare to find multiple trunks that flow in a manner that allows for a unified expression. I do not expect to find another triple trunk similar in quality for collection. The stress now comes with a desire to make the most of what nature has provided and respect the original form of the tree in refinement.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s interesting the different “relationships” one develops with specimens...

Ones that you successfully “capture” from the wild have an ENTIRELY different “give and take” and “dialogue” with you, the gatherer/artist than say, a tree grown from seed... BOTH tremendously rewarding and satisfying relationships.. just different.

🤓
Collected trees often speak out to the collector as one passes by, so many are silent and go unnoticed simply passed over. Then their are the many that shout out for attention, yet remain uncollected. Simply beyond the pale of expectation for successful collection. Too large, too deeply rooted, impossible to get too without risk to life and limb.
So often the trip home involves discussion of how that tree may actually be collectible if only! However, the other person gently reminds one of the reality, simply not meant to be! Maybe next time. Collecting with a partner has many advantages, a good one keeps you grounded.
Reminds me of fishing. As in if you think this is a good one, then you should have seen the one I let go!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Collected trees often speak out to the collector as one passes by, so many are silent and go unnoticed simply passed over. Then their are the many that shout out for attention, yet remain uncollected. Simply beyond the pale of expectation for successful collection. Too large, too deeply rooted, impossible to get too without risk to life and limb.
So often the trip home involves discussion of how that tree may actually be collectible if only! However, the other person gently reminds one of the reality, simply not meant to be! Maybe next time. Collecting with a partner has many advantages, a good one keeps you grounded.
Reminds me of fishing. As in if you think this is a good one, then you should have seen the one I let go!
Hehe! My lil’ “cultivars” are normally my only assistants... and THEY.. want to take the whole damn woods home!

It’s always excruciatingly painful FINDING that “siren song BLARING” specimen... STARTING your process... then REALIZING.. “Yeeeah, this guy ain’t going ANYWHERE!” My oldest always makes it clear that I just put in a TON of work, cut my knuckles open and got my knees and ankles soaked.. JUST to walk away..

I always say, “eh, it was MY fault... The tree doesn’t WANT to go anywhere.”

Collecting with experienced “hunters” would be awesome!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hehe! My lil’ “cultivars” are normally my only assistants... and THEY.. want to take the whole damn woods home!

It’s always excruciatingly painful FINDING that “siren song BLARING” specimen... STARTING your process... then REALIZING.. “Yeeeah, this guy ain’t going ANYWHERE!” My oldest always makes it clear that I just put in a TON of work, cut my knuckles open and got my knees and ankles soaked.. JUST to walk away..

I always say, “eh, it was MY fault... The tree doesn’t WANT to go anywhere.”

Collecting with experienced “hunters” would be awesome!

Personal perspective, even if you have to limit your range and possibilities for the " lil cultivars" . Time spent with little" cultivars" is precious and cannot be replaced Times spent in seemingly everyday pursuits become precious memories!
Now, when they get big enough to help carry, that is even better!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Personal perspective, even if you have to limit your range and possibilities for the " lil cultivars" . Time spent with little" cultivars" is precious and cannot be replaced Times spent in seemingly everyday pursuits become precious memories!
Now, when they get big enough to help carry, that is even better!
Yes, absolutely!

My 5-year old runs up with a little snow-berry clone colony, and says, “Can I take this home to my ‘rainforest’ (his plant area)... to make.. uh.. like a raft-tree or something?”
60A1243A-DBC4-47F7-B364-8A4867F03A1E.png
Dang Straight we can, son!

That SAME day, my 10-year old stumbles across a little hop-hornbeam says, “Dad!! I know this is young, but can we take it, for me? I’ve never seen one before. (Actually not THAT common in my common “areas”)
1613062951129.jpeg
Sounds good, Son!

Neither was something I, personally, would collect... but they weren’t FOR me. 🤓

Crap, looks I side-tracked your thread, bud.

I’ll calm down, boys.

🤓

(Some Canada jokes at the end there, bud 🤣🤣)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update, reviewed the styling and made some changes, overall development will take longer but the change will improve the design in the long run! This type of change is more possible with the growth pattern and back budding propensity. Will be watching for bud development on the middle trunk:eek:

View attachment 353219
Spring is showing new growth and back budding within interior of branches and on the trunk. Will be a while before the options become visible for the apex on the middle trunk but on closer look several buds appear to be forming that will open later or in the coming year.
New growth is lush and tree appears to have handled the fall work very well. Did not move the tree for best photos but the closer snaps of foliage should give you a good idea of the growth this spring.IMG_1496.JPGIMG_1498.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Spring is showing new growth and back budding within interior of branches and on the trunk. Will be a while before the options become visible for the apex on the middle trunk but on closer look several buds appear to be forming that will open later or in the coming year.
New growth is lush and tree appears to have handled the fall work very well. Did not move the tree for best photos but the closer snaps of foliage should give you a good idea of the growth this spring.View attachment 373528View attachment 373530
Thought I would share an observation from nature. Throw it into the discussion of development versus refinement! Went on a walk today in the woods. The path leads through natural fir trees here on Vancouver Island. This path tends to get overgrown and as a results some locals tend to trim back branches from time to time. Long story short, progressive cut back into older wood causes a strong response for bud back. More so when the branch or trunk is exposed to the sun. Picture below of a shortened branch on the east side of the path exposed to sunlight. New growth on remaining branchlets as well as new buds along the main branch in the area exposed to the sun. Thus the bonsai technique of cutting back and wiring out branches to expose to the sun. Note the amount of healing at the end of the branch gives indication of being cut some time ago, likely last fall. Also I circled the area further back still exposed to the sun where numerous bud back occurred.IMG_0561 2.JPG

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
This tree was collected in 2018 and should only improve with age! Once the bark matures and the foliage fills out the effect should be amazing! Fir back bud readily and handle repotting very well. looking forward to development. This is the recovered stage two years after collection and one initial wiring with a bit of styling. Next up will be a more rigorous branch selection, thinning and grow out for foliage density and compaction. Lots of work to do with apex's and styling over the next five years.
View attachment 350421
Wonderful specimen

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 353219
Feel like I won the lottery today! I did say I would be watching for bud development on the middle trunk after shortening the top to achieve better overall proportion in the triple trunk design. The results are real encouraging as shown below. One new bud centre line for front design and 1/4 inch below saw cut! Also an extra bud same line 2 inches directly below. Looks like the small shoot I kept on the right hand side off centre will not be needed to form the new apex!
I decided to assist the growth pattern with a clear tube attached to direct the new buds as they extend directly straight up! The tube is 1/2 inch diameter ( back section removed and lightly wired in place.
Fir have a tendency to curve upwards with a gentle hooking shape. I am hoping for a tighter direct upward movement for this particular spot! Will have to keep a close eye on the progress and take off the tube at the appropriate time!IMG_1539.JPGIMG_1540.JPG

Top Bottom