Collected Virginia Pine

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you worked with a lot of Virginia pines? I’m looking for more information on single vs double flush on V pines. My understanding was that the jury was still out on whether they consistently pushed good second growth after decandling. Would be interested in your findings.

G, if the tree is healthy and vigorous then the jury is not out. They will flush after de-candling. I've worked with V. pines and they respond predictably. if de-candled too early they will push new extensions on the second flush.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
G, if the tree is healthy and vigorous then the jury is not out. They will flush after de-candling. I've worked with V. pines and they respond predictably. if de-candled too early they will push new extensions on the second flush.

Right on, thx

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry i keep waking up old threads but just curious how the years treated it

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately, this one the only tree I lost in the move, although I think it was on the decline before.

If I had to take a guess, it would be when I repotted in the spring last year. This was a very awkward tree, and I don’t think (actually I know) that I didn’t secure it in the pot well enough.

After many “two-steps” last year, I think the tree suffered. Then the move finished it off.

I really like this tree and VPine species in general.

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected 6 pitch pine from very sandy soil in Feb., probably 4 -5 years old and 2.5' tall, which I immediately replanted in the same sand under our deck that gets scattered SE sun and rain. All seem to be doing well and are pushing candles now. The plan is to leave them there until next spring and then build boxes for the survivors. If they are going to die, how long could it take to do so?

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Btw Would there be merit to adding the soil from the collection site to the soil mix upon planting in pot/box ?or as long as its free draining enough it doesnt have to be same soil.. I never bring home soil from site like that other than what stays stuck to root mass but for these finnicky pines i was just mulling through the idea

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Btw Would there be merit to adding the soil from the collection site to the soil mix upon planting in pot/box ?or as long as its free draining enough it doesnt have to be same soil.. I never bring home soil from site like that other than what stays stuck to root mass but for these finnicky pines i was just mulling through the idea
No. If you’re doing it to inoculate with mycorrhizal fungi, the roots will still have some, and it will develop on its own. Having open, well-draining soil is more important.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. If you’re doing it to inoculate with mycorrhizal fungi, the roots will still have some, and it will develop on its own. Having open, well-draining soil is more important.
Cool. Im gunna grab a sack of lava rock for my mix before i snag what i had my eyeballs on to capitalize on aeration and drainage. Im plum out

Another thought..if the roots are running 10 feet before feeders could a type of rootsack be made to stimulate fine growth similar to air layer?

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. Im gunna grab a sack of lava rock for my mix before i snag what i had my eyeballs on to capitalize on aeration and drainage. Im plum out

Another thought..if the roots are running 10 feet before feeders could a type of rootsack be made to stimulate fine growth similar to air layer?

A sack/bag is probably not necessary. If you are using a high-oxygen soil like pumice (or lava) to recover the roots, then merely strategically-wounding the roots and allowing callus to form within that high-oxygen environment should trigger rooting, assuming productive foliage is sending down sugar/auxin. Wounding roots of a collected tree is risky too though, I've only seen people try this on far more established root systems (for nebari development).

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A sack/bag is probably not necessary. If you are using a high-oxygen soil like pumice (or lava) to recover the roots, then merely strategically-wounding the roots and allowing callus to form within that high-oxygen environment should trigger rooting, assuming productive foliage is sending down sugar/auxin. Wounding roots of a collected tree is risky too though, I've only seen people try this on far more established root systems (for nebari development).
So i guess that would mean fitting it into a box that is of size to house whatever root system of long runners it has? Before working those runners down to a reasonable length after finer roots have formed?

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So i guess that would mean fitting it into a box that is of size to house whatever root system of long runners it has? Before working those runners down to a reasonable length after finer roots have formed?

Perhaps, an excessively large recovery box will present other challenges too. It also depends on your confidence/experience with the species and aftercare skills, to be honest. I can now ballpark estimate how much root mass I need at collection time to get a recoverable lodgepole pine, but it took some practice.

As an aside, in the past I've asked my mentors similar "what if the yamadori's soil conditions have created difficult-to-collect roots?" questions, and the answer has always been "search for yamadori in friendlier soils". I haven't entirely heeded this advice, largely I don't wanna drive all the way to the rockies to look for trees, but I've also got better at knowing my collection limits.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps, an excessively large recovery box will present other challenges too. It also depends on your confidence/experience with the species and aftercare skills, to be honest. I can now ballpark estimate how much root mass I need at collection time to get a recoverable lodgepole pine, but it took some practice.

As an aside, in the past I've asked my mentors similar "what if the yamadori's soil conditions have created difficult-to-collect roots?" questions, and the answer has always been "search for yamadori in friendlier soils". I haven't entirely heeded this advice, largely I don't wanna drive all the way to the rockies to look for trees, but I've also got better at knowing my collection limits.
I have a pretty high collection success rate thankfully through years of doing tree service for a literal job allot of knowledge /experiences came with the territory , BUT i havent collected much for pines for bonsai specifically the VP and just from allot of testimony there is a little more care involved which im trying to pay homage to before going and grabbing the one in my sights. But doing is learning so I will be taking the tree when i can manage some time to get out there and surely ill post about it and we will see how it goes lol always love reading or recieving feedback from the oracles who have been there done that. There is always a chance to learn something

Top Bottom