markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s the tree after spring work. I posted this on the Seasonal Work! thread, but I’ll post it hear too to keep the progression going.

As a reminder, for me spring work on broadleaf tree in refinement Includes:
1) pinching back new growth.
2) thinning the foliage on the strong extending growth by removing leaves or cutting them in 1/2
3) if I have an apical dominate tree, I leave more foliage on the lower branches than the upper ones.
4) I leave weak interior growth alone.
5) wiring extending shoots if necessary

9DD993E1-7459-4FE0-85E3-58874F443DC3.jpeg

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Here’s the tree after spring work. I posted this on the Seasonal Work! thread, but I’ll post it hear too to keep the progression going.

As a reminder, for me spring work on broadleaf tree in refinement Includes:
1) pinching back new growth.
2) thinning the foliage on the strong extending growth by removing leaves or cutting them in 1/2
3) if I have an apical dominate tree, I leave more foliage on the lower branches than the upper ones.
4) I leave weak interior growth alone.
5) wiring extending shoots if necessary

View attachment 370483
What's the size of the pot currently?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Photographer setting up - be sure to watch for the ABS article and come to San Antonio to see this tree and many others are Vision 2020! (In 2022). I’ll post some of the pictures after the journal article comes out. This has been nearly a decade long journey of branch development documented in this thread and around 25 years from collection. Now it’s on the way to its first show. Can’t wait to see what the next 10 years brings!
61BBC358-A024-4890-8BEB-CE8AAEAA1EB9.jpeg

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
What size is the show pot and how often do you think you will have to repot being that the show pot is shallower than the training pot?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What size is the show pot and how often do you think you will have to repot being that the show pot is shallower than the training pot?
It’s 23”x20”x3”. It didn’t need repotting this year - probably every other year.

S

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do ya'll remember, after Neo goes through the Martial Arts training program and when he "comes to"... And he says..
giphy.gif

..? (Now just replace "kung-fu", with Ulmus)

I just absorbed this fantastic progression and am impressed by your diplomatic and helpful interactions here (not to mention the fantastic Elm you've sculpted), @markyscott , I learned much from this thread.

Thank you.

🤓

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do ya'll remember, after Neo goes through the Martial Arts training program and when he "comes to"... And he says..
View attachment 476483

..? (Now just replace "kung-fu", with Ulmus)

I just absorbed this fantastic progression and am impressed by your diplomatic and helpful interactions here (not to mention the fantastic Elm you've sculpted), @markyscott , I learned much from this thread.

Thank you.

🤓
So glad you got something out of this dicussion.

- S

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So glad you got something out of this dicussion.

- S

The picture guided dynamics of the complex refinement task of these beastly-fast (comparatively) growing Elms in North America... *Mwahs on fingers*

I feel much of the "containment procedures" and approaches you've outlined and refined here would be applicable to most of these trees with success. (With the expected pre-existing variations between local Ulmus taken into account).

Top Bottom