Votes: 102 68.9%
  • Do it regardless.

Votes: 46 31.1%

• Total voters

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But I have yet to see a single person with a forestry service attire. I think in 30 years time I've seen two of them as a kid.

I've had permits checked a couple of times in Colorado. I was approached once by national forest people in Wisconsin, but they were just checking to see if I'd broken down and needed help with the car. I showed them my permits anyway, and they said "Take what you want, what do we care?"

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
The only real tree I took without permission was from the arse end of a Forestry Commission managed plantation woodland which was good for nothing but nature and myself. The reason I took it was because I followed the chain all the way down - E-mailing one department, on to the next, then the next and finally ended up with the contact of the officer in charge of that woodland who then told me, “we cannot give give permissions from this office”. In the UK that means, “not my problem, nothing in the bureaucratic manual, I simply do not care”. Truth is, I went through all the proper channels, I know there was no alternative contact, so therefore, I read that as, “Do what you like.” I did.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
We are each a steward of this earth, and as such we are responsible to insure that there is species of trees and animals for the future generations...Collecting trees or anything else with wild abandon is no different than wiping out something to extinction.
Unless you are willing to say to hell with the future generations every seeing trees,animals,etc. you will collect without permission or hunt to extinction.
As a child I acted as a child.....Then I grew up and learned to be a responsible citizen of our planet.
So which of you are a child?
Irene
Yes, there is something to be said about having a caretaker attitude toward the land and trees…is that not why most of us do bonsai, to form a deeper natural connection?

When l go out to collect…thats going to church for me.

Let’s all be mindful, like others have said it just takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us.

Lets get permits and permission even for invasives…those are just an easier sell.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What happens when you collect tree within the Queens chain ( I think it's 20 metres from any sea or habour ) ?
Do we ask the King Charles for permission ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Michigan, there is no public land collecting. Private land with permission is the only way to go. I use a hunting app to figure out property owners names and contact them offering to pay per tree from $20 to $300 per tree depending. Often times they say yes.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In Michigan, there is no public land collecting. Private land with permission is the only way to go. I use a hunting app to figure out property owners names and contact them offering to pay per tree from $20 to $300 per tree depending. Often times they say yes.
Thats pretty cool, do they always accept the money or do some just say I dont want money just take what you need? I didnt think you paid anything for your collected trees.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Queen’s chain​

Equally mythological is the so-called ‘Queen’s chain’, said to be a 20-metre (or one chain) strip along the edge of waterways and coasts (and therefore above the high water mark or foreshore). This is believed to give a universal right of public access. Queen Victoria’s 1839 instructions to Lieutenant-Governor William Hobson certainly asked that places along the sea coast and navigable streams be reserved ‘for the recreation and amusement of the inhabitants’. But neither statute nor common law consistently established this as a universal right.

Public access has always been partial (about 70% of land abutting New Zealand's coast is in public ownership). Where it has been legally secured it has been predominantly via formed roads abutting the coastline, reservations of land from sale or other transfers of land, as well as various forms of reserve, such as road reserves and esplanade reserves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats pretty cool, do they always accept the money or do some just say I dont want money just take what you need? I didnt think you paid anything for your collected trees.
I feel alot more comfortable offering the land owner money. They have no reason to say yes otherwise :). Yes, sometimes people will say the sweet words, "take as many as you want"!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I feel alot more comfortable offering the land owner money. They have no reason to say yes otherwise :). Yes, sometimes people will say the sweet words, "take as many as you want"!
Yep I'd do the same tbf. some of your yamadori is outstanding, I wouldnt be complaining if I only had to shell out $10-300, so its win win for both parties.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve used the same , and I’ve used public access for out of state properties. Google maps is great tool as well

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really do commend you guys for going through the proper channels. In my situation, in my area, I equate it to going 30 mph in a 25 mph zone. Not legal or maybe not as ethical in all situations, but come on, we've all done it. I'm sure y'all declared Meemaw's $100 birthday check on your income taxes too. ;)

Top Bottom