Copper Beech Rescue

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've seen others make a sort of docu-blog on a specific project they're working on, so figured I'd try it out.

So, I have this copper beech. I got the tree from a small Bonsai supply and nursery in Seattle a little over a month ago. I went there looking for a deciduous tree to work on and saw this one. When I asked about the tree, I was told that it's sort of a rescue. The tree had been neglected for the most part of twenty years, and not much came of it when it was given to the owner of the nursery. After receiving it, she put it into an Anderson flat with 100% inorganic soil and nursed it back to life. The tree came back to life, but is pretty bare even through its first major growing season since being rescued. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Not sure why, but even while looking at all the other trees available I kept coming back to it. To me that means something, so I took it home.

Here it is as from the nursery (mesh added to protect from squirrels) the day I brought it home:

Copper Beech 1.jpg

The idea was to remove it from the Anderson flat and put it into a large grow bag, then bury the grow bag in a half-barrel, to sort of trick the tree into thinking it's in the ground. I don't really have a good place to put this tree in the actual ground and keep it safe, so that's why I chose to go this direction. I carefully removed the tree from the Anderson flat, and was a bit surprised by what came out. What you see left in the flat is just some very fine, tiny roots and the thick wire that was holding the tree in place. 99% of the "root ball" came out in one piece:

Copper Beech 2.jpg

At this point I didn't want to cut any of the roots, even the huge ones that make the root ball such an odd shape. I wanted to wait until there were more healthy fine roots - maybe a year or two down the road. So, I placed the tree into a five-gallon grow bag with Happy Frog organic soil, which is on the finer side of things, and added some pumice to help control water retention. I also added an inoculant to the soil just below where the root would sit. Then, I placed the bag in the barrel and surrounded it with organic soil. For good measure I tossed a little of the inoculant on top. Why not?
Copper Beech 3.jpg

I let it rest, and then a couple weeks later hit it with a good dose of liquid fertilizer. I'll get a couple pics this afternoon of how it's been doing, but so far so good. The idea is to prune back this winter but continue to let it grow for a couple years before doing anything else with it. I'm hoping that the tree continues to flourish and ramify now that it's stabilized. Fingers crossed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't prune this back this winter... or maybe not next winter, either. Fagus sylvatica is uber slow growing when healthy, and this one apparently was just recovering from much neglect and you just re-potted it. Let it grow for a few years and regain some strength before cutting it back.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I wouldn't prune this back this winter... or maybe not next winter, either. Fagus sylvatica is uber slow growing when healthy, and this one apparently was just recovering from much neglect and you just re-potted it. Let it grow for a few years and regain some strength before cutting it back.
You're probably right. The only reason I was thinking of doing minor pruning this winter is because of how well the tree responded to being transplanted and worked. I did the above work in August, and in only about three weeks there was noticeable nodal growth and some of the back buds started elongating and swelling, a few leaves even emerged. I'm hoping the spring and summer brings at least one branch down below to help the trunk, but even at its current size, I like the slender, mostly straight trunk; it looks good on this particular tree.

That said, this is a very long term project and I have other things to do to keep me busy, so will probably take your advice and just wait at least another full growing season and go from there. I will need to protect it some during the winter, and being in the barrel it's a bit big and heavy to bring into my small greenhouse. So, I'll probably top it with mulch right around Thanksgiving. Should be fine from there.

Appreciate the reply!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
o will probably take your advice and just wait at least another full growing season
Let it grow for a few years and regain some strength before cutting it back.
Just to reinforce the response you received. Best chance for survival and development over time is a few years of undisturbed growth. No pruning, no repotting just regular care and improvement of its health.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Just to reinforce the response you received. Best chance for survival and development over time is a few years of undisturbed growth. No pruning, no repotting just regular care and improvement of its health.
Understood, I could have worded it a little less vaguely.

Top Bottom