Cork bark Chinese Elm

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeh great trunk, great character. I like this.

you were ruthless with the root prune, Elms very good at dealing with this or maybe you were only this ruthless due to lack of branches and leaves to cause a problem?

(To my understanding, more leaves, more transpiration, more roots needed to feed water).

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

you were ruthless with the root prune, Elms very good at dealing with this or maybe you were only this ruthless due to lack of branches and leaves to cause a problem?

(To my understanding, more leaves, more transpiration, more roots needed to feed water).

Hi CD. Thanks for the question. The tree is strong. In good health and in season, this species can handle this work no problem.

scott

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Look at my ulmus nirekeyaki in 2015

Before the work
nire9.jpg

after the root prunining
nire.jpg

And 2 years later in 2017
nire2.jpg

Elms roots grow like weed!!

Greetings

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look at my ulmus nirekeyaki in 2015

Before the work
View attachment 288492

after the root prunining
View attachment 288490

And 2 years later in 2017
View attachment 288491

Elms roots grow like weed!!

Greetings

Very nice! I have repotted 2 CEs myself recently for this year and they have those bit tuber roots, I removed one but was cautious. I think now, i could have removed more!
I was trying to fit them in their final pots but I think even if I did remove more, the wouldnt have fitted anyway...

Ive a question for you both, if I may be so cheeky as to ask; I have light-medium root pruned 2 very healthy CE, new substrate and potted. I wanted to get them in their final pots but as the ones I had were too small, Im going to buy new. In say a 3-4 weeks time, if I simply lifted out and put in the new pot, MAYBE removed a few big tubers, do you think the CE would skip a beat?

PIcs for ref:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice! I have repotted 2 CEs myself recently for this year and they have those bit tuber roots, I removed one but was cautious. I think now, i could have removed more!
I was trying to fit them in their final pots but I think even if I did remove more, the wouldnt have fitted anyway...

Ive a question for you both, if I may be so cheeky as to ask; I have light-medium root pruned 2 very healthy CE, new substrate and potted. I wanted to get them in their final pots but as the ones I had were too small, Im going to buy new. In say a 3-4 weeks time, if I simply lifted out and put in the new pot, MAYBE removed a few big tubers, do you think the CE would skip a beat?

PIcs for ref:

no problem

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just received two cork bark CE through our bonsai club. I was told to use straight akadma. Do u guys use a mix or what do u plant them in?

Also does any one else ever consider using a saws all on the roots!?? I had roots as thick as the truck.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can use straight akadama. That will hold more water than APL mix. Akadama is the most expensive component of APL, so using the P and L somewhat lowers the cost.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just received two cork bark CE through our bonsai club. I was told to use straight akadma. Do u guys use a mix or what do u plant them in?

Also does any one else ever consider using a saws all on the roots!?? I had roots as thick as the truck.

I use equal parts akadama, lava and pumice. Akadama stays wetter, in my opinion - especially after its been in the pot for a few years. And yes, you can use a sawzall. Roots are pretty soft though - I cut through them with a hand saw, no problem.

Top Bottom