cotinus

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there!
i have this big cotinus crateagus "royale purple" since june i think
didnt do anything to it yet since it wasnt to healthy when i got it from a gardencentre tree graveyard along With the big yew i posted some time ago.

it did double in foliage since i took care of it now waiting for fall because they display a beautifull collor then

opening this thread to keep You bnutters updated on its progression

in spring it needs a repot
then also i might cut it down or maybe airlayer some parts off to sell or trade or give away since they dont seem often to be found this large

does anyone know how they heal big cutting wounds?

tell me what ya think !

Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-11-43.png Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-11-52.png Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-11-58.png

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it did double in foliage since i took care of it now waiting for fall because they display a beautifull collor then

The Smoke tree or bush is on my list for spring purchase if I can find one here. The growth you mentioned is good but next year as it gets even healthier expect a LOT more growth. They quickly grow out of control and would need a serious chop in the winter if allowed to... I think Hans Van Meer has one in his blog, and older post, 6-7 years ago. That is the one that peaked my interest although it is not even near finished training.
I will be interested in seeing this one progress and post one here if they are available. I don't see much useful information on these so I will be learning the species as well.

Grimmy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yes i am Lucky !
saw that one too i Like it allot !
also great for inspiration and information about the proces i still have to start !

ill post a picture when its in fall colours !

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whats going on at the base?
Looks hurting in the last pic.

Nice bark!

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whats going on at the base?
Looks hurting in the last pic.

Nice bark!

Sorce

its healthy ! well noticed tough
the soil stayed wet to long close to the trunk wich made the bark rot so removed the lose rotting bark and the top of the soil.

the bark is Like a kind of scales With space between so its vunreboul?? to rot
so hopeing that the bark returns at some point

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just from observing smoke trees in the landscape plantings around here, they do heal cuts, at about an average rate, similar to Malus, or Acer. Cuts should heal.

There is a big old smoke tree on the family farm in Michigan, it is over 20 feet tall, (about 7 meters). I think for bonsai the larger styles suit the growth pattern better, shoot for at least a meter tall tree.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoketree are common street and landscaping trees around Portland, OR. Most of them are allowed to grow with little intervention, but I have seen some respond well to significant pruning and storm damage. I’m convinced they can heal large wounds fairly well and at a medium rate.

Reaction score
thinking where to chop this guy coming spring allong with the repot sugestions are welcome!

made a quick sketch of what came to my mind im not that good at drawing but here it is !

View attachment 128400

I'd chop lower, about half the branch lower than you chop now. Maybe a little higher, but not much. How's the dying back on cotinus? If it's bad chop a little higher, so it has space to die back without fuking up the design. Generally you will want nice movement and taper, and with those chops you'll have neither. I can draw it tomorrow if you like.
@johng has a very nice youtube video on developing an azalea. The things he explains are usable for a whole bunch of other species and styles too.
You do know what you want, and the 'final' image does look good, so I think you'll be more than okay.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cool draw it !

i guess i know what you mean tough
dont know about the die back either well find out in a couple months tough lol

yeah i know his video's it made me buy two azalea bushes :oops:

edit:

like this
2017-01-08 23.17.08.jpg

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one is chopped an potted !

Actualy this tree is my wifes i seem to be unable to talk her into giving it to me but it means she has to do all the work :p
All i did was drink a beer give instructions get it out the pot and put it in its pot and fill in the soil

After some arguing i convinced her to chop the tree she didnt want to at first
Compromise 1 branch stays wich will be airlayered later on

Its chopped a bit higher than i would myself but maybe next year after it grew she will understand.....

Roots where pruned the nebari could use some work but was better than i expected just lets hope it will recover and grows well this season!
Enough talk here some pics!
ct1.jpg
My wife digging for nebari!
ct2.jpg
Dog protecting his freshly cut off branch!

ct3.jpg ct4.jpg
Helping out to get it out
ct5.jpg ct6.jpg
Wooden box i made for this tree

ct7.jpg
Me drinking a beer carrieng the baby and giving instructions and watching her doing the hard work !
rps20170312_231012.jpg
Hosing
clay soil out of base

ct8.jpg

Attachments

• ct5.jpg
    ct5.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom